You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-11-2017 04:29:57  #1

Pelikan branded silk/seide ribbons

Hi all,
I would  be interested in opinions on these. The one I have seen is made in China (not that that is a bad thing, just to identify). 
Thanks,
D

22-11-2017 16:56:02  #2

Re: Pelikan branded silk/seide ribbons

Yes, those that I have also are "made in China".

I've ordered these from the German Amazon website. The experience I've had with them is generally good, but they have one major deficiency. When new, they're very inky. They leave slurs on the paper. After some days of typing this goes away however and then you have really nice, full black letters.

There are also alternative ribbons offered under the Pelikan brand that are made from Nylon (I have exactly no idea if this is a valid English term). These don't leave slurs, but aren't nearly as inky; the imprint left by these is more greyish than black.

I assume that every remaining commercial seller of ribbons produces them in China. It's sad in a way, but still better as if there weren't any ribbons available anymore. I've read about trying to manufacture them oneself, but Mr. Polt claims in his "Typewriter Revolution" that this is based on re-inking existing ribbons and produces results of inferior quality. I've not tried myself, though.

22-11-2017 17:43:37  #3

Hi Sirius,
thanks for your review.  I have ordered one anyway and yes I also saw the nylon ones but having read that silk ribbons are generally longer lasting and superior I thought better to pay a bit more.
Best Regards,
D

22-11-2017 18:11:46  #4

sirius wrote:

I assume that every remaining commercial seller of ribbons produces them in China

They are not all made in China. Fine Line, Porelon, General Ribbon Corp, and Baco are some of the US manufacturers. NuKote is a US company as well, though I don't know if where they make them. I think Kores is an international company headquartered in Austria, but I also don't know where they make it. There are others, those are just some examples.

13-6-2018 17:00:40  #5

I currently use a black only DIN 32755 Seide (silk) ribbon in my machine from a German brand called KMP, very good so far have a silk Pelikan Red/Black still in its box as well... will use that in a while and see if I like the KMP or Pelikan better.

I do know for a fact I prefer the silk ribbons over the nylon ones... haven’t used any cotton ones yet.

14-6-2018 22:51:51  #6

I have two Smith-Corona Skyriters: one is 10 CPI (Pica), and the other is 12 CPI (Elite).

I wondered which ribbon made my typewriter look the best, and got a cotton ribbon, a silk ribbon, and a nylon ribbon.

The heavily-inked cotton ribbon was not just black, but BLACK. It looked really good in he Pica machine, but was too inky for the Elite machine.  Too many filled-in a's and e's.

The silk (Kores-brand) ribbon was Black, and looked great in both the Pica and Elite machines. No filled-in letters.  The print was a bit uneven, but the ribbon was brand-new, and rhat might have something to do with it.

The easy-to-get nylon ribbon was not black.  It was more like dark grey.  Nevertheless, the output was even and readable. 
But I can't un-see how pale the nylon print looked when placed next to silk or cotton. :-(

As the results are now, I *lust* for the silk ribbon, even though its about twice as expensive.

I may need to do more testing by typing 3 or 4 pages full of #'s and @'s to see if the ribbons will look better once the excess ink is pulled out.

-- Ardie

18-6-2018 04:56:08  #7

The silk are indeed twice as expensive, here the silk ones cost about 6 swiss francs instead of 2.50-3.50 Swiss francs for the nylon ones.

I mean I'm not gonna cheap out on a ribbon that will last me months if it costs about the same as a coffee here in Zürich. 

I mean a ribbon for 6 francs, or a coffee for 5-7. 

I'd hardly notice even if I'd buy 10 ribbons a month lets say, in the end I prefer quality over quantity anyway. A good ribbon will last a while and doesn't a good silk ribbon give more pleasure?! 

21-6-2018 04:49:46  #8

Just a heads up:

The Pelikan Seide ribbon I have here is VERY wet/oily. The KMP ribbon seemed very dry in comparison.

Personally I prefer the KMP ribbon, the Pelikan leaves ink residue all over the place on the ribbon guider etc. Wonder if it’ll get better soon, or if it’ll take forever.

21-6-2018 11:01:13  #9

"Jip" wrote:

the Pelikan leaves ink residue all over the place on the ribbon guider etc. Wonder if it’ll get better soon, or if it’ll take forever.

It does become better fairly quickly in my opinion. I've happily been using the Pelican ribbons since a while. Any "dry" ribbons that I tried usually didn't leave a black mark, but a grey one.

sirius

21-6-2018 16:37:40  #10

The 'dry' one from KMP is equally black as the Pelikan...

Tomorrow I'll post a picture of a page where I've written on with both ribbons. 

Board footera