You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-8-2018 13:17:50  #1

Santa Fe - typewriter stores?

I have a friend in Santa Fe I would like to correspond with. She thinks it a great idea, but doesn't know where to start finding a decent, working typewriter in her area. Any advice?

07-8-2018 15:34:51  #2

Re: Santa Fe - typewriter stores?

Actually, thanks to Richard Post and his Classic Typewriter Page, I found the following, which is not a million miles away from her:New Mexico

• John Lewis Mechanical Antique Repair, 4805 Menaul N.E., Albuquerque, NM 87110. Phone: (505) 884-0600. Fax: (505) 884-0929. E-mail : bussys@nmia.com. Web site: www.johnlewismechanicalantiques.com. Lewis owns over 1800 typewriters and has decades of experience repairing, restoring and cleaning old machines. He has done very fine work for me! --Richard Polt (creator of this website).

07-8-2018 15:35:27  #3

Polt, not Post! But you all knew that :-)

07-8-2018 15:52:14  #4

How about Craigslist? Here are the current typewriter listings for Santa Fe: https://santafe.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=typewriter&sort=rel

07-8-2018 16:11:41  #5

I'll mention it, but as she knows nothing about them, I think she would look to buy from someone who has refurbished them, at least for her first typer. Thanks for the link, Fleetwing. 

08-8-2018 14:33:37  #6

Were it me, I would explain to her how to test a typewriter to make sure it's functioning correctly (it's advice that she'll need anyway if she plans on using it), and then use that information to pick up a local machine for $20 instead of a $200+ refurbished model. If it's a first machine, spending around $20-$40 is far more sensible tryout fee; I'd hate for someone to invest a lot of money on a machine only to find out that it really isn't their thing. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-8-2018 15:23:28  #7

Good point, Uwe. As you know, I'm no expert, though I know a lot more than I did a couple of weeks ago. I'll give her what advice I can, including getting hold of The Typewriter Revolution, and some online links. 

08-8-2018 15:24:18  #8

Greetings All

In a situation like this, one would hope a forum member would be willing to sell your friend a known good and fully serviced typewriter with the agreement that it could be bought back less the price of shipping should she decide it's not her cup of tea. Yes, there is always the risk of shipping damage, but I would expect our members to know how to properly pack a typewriter for safe travel, or know someone who might be heading in that direction. These are just my thoughts on this subject. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera