You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-9-2018 06:23:36  #11

Re: Information needed on Remington Standard 10S Cyrillic Typewriter

14-9-2018 06:26:40  #12

14-9-2018 06:30:57  #13

Here's the last of them. Thank you for bearing with me. Hopefully these images will reveal more than my words could.

14-9-2018 10:20:39  #14

I'm not an expert when it comes to the Model 10, so hopefully someone more familiar with it will chime in. However, what does seem interesting off the top is that it doesn't have a decimal tabulator, the front cover is flat - not bevelled, and the line space lever seems more robust than the one on my 1914 Model 10. All of this, along with the 60,000+ serial number, has me leaning toward it being a ca. 1926 production model.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-9-2018 15:40:37  #15

Thank you Uwe, your views are much appreciated.
I myself was confused by the differences in production run. But I also noted that the 10S had several differences to the casual Standard 10. It made me wonder how exactly the 10S was different from the 10. Also, why would a Standard 10 have a production year of 1926 when I thought production halted before this date. But I am no expert, and appreciate any views on the matter of what exactly what my machine is and when it was made.

15-9-2018 00:10:00  #16

If you're going by the information in the Typewriter Database, then you're right; the L-series was apparently discontinued in 1925. However, the Database is not an absolute. Its information has been pulled together by the typewriter community and there are often inconsistencies and missing data. Some even claim that the manufacturers themselves kept sloppy records. However, we can't ignore that your machine has a number in the 60,000 range, and for me that's something I put more stock in than the prefix information. With Remington portables a two-letter prefix indicated the model (first letter) and the month of manufacture (second letter). If your 10 follows this practice, the P would indicate that it was made in January.

There are numerous reasons why there might be an overlap in years, prefixes, and numbers, and the fact that your typewriter was likely a special order - and for export no less - is just one reason why it doesn't neatly follow the serial number rules. 

As for the S-variant versus the regular 10, as I previously indicated your machine doesn't have a decimal tabulator, nor does it appear to have the single-key tabulator that appeared on the Model 12 around that time, so perhaps it just indicates that it's a more base model? 

If I come across anything more concrete I'll be sure to post it here.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-9-2018 08:44:43  #17

Thank you again Uwe for your interesting information. It is greatly appreciated. And thank you, if you come across any other information.

In regards to this typewriter being a special order, would that mean it would have literally been made upon order, rather than there already being a small stock of Cyrillic Remingtons in the New York warehouses? It would be interesting if it was made to order. Also, would that make it quite rare? And what do you think the value might be? I'm not going to sell it, definitely not. It's far too interesting for me to do that. But I always like to know where my things stand, valuewise.

Thank you very much.

15-9-2018 17:51:49  #18

I can't give you a definitive answer since it probably would have depended on how many Cyrillic keyboards Remington was selling at the time. The type slugs may have been outsourced, so it might have been easier for Remington to keep a small stock - either of the special slugs or completed machines. Then again, there might have been other ordering options such as a Cyrillic keyboard with a choice of specific characters. In that case it would make more sense that they were made to order.

I would never describe it as rare (it's a very overused term in typewriter circles). Is it less common than a Remington 10 with a QWERTY keyboard? Absolutely, but I'm sure there are still plenty of Cyrillic models kicking around - enough at least that they wouldn't be considered rare. Value, when it comes to typewriters, is dependent on the buyer. I wouldn't pay a penny more for a Cyrillic keyboard, mostly because I don't have use for one, and if two Remington 10s were sitting side-by-side, identically priced, one with a Cyrillic keyboard and the other with a QWERTY, I would buy the QWERTY machine.

Of course there are a few collectors - not many that I've come across - who collect keyboards and typefaces, and it's possible that such a person might pay more for such a machine. My point is that you're not sitting on a gold mine, and what's it truly worth is what you'd be willing to pay for it, or sell it for.

16-9-2018 03:41:10  #19

Very well said Uwe. As I said, I'm not wishing to sell it so am not looking for some insane value or anything like that. And I am very happy with what I paid for it.

And thanks again for your info.

Board footera