You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-10-2017 13:14:10  #11

Re: If you could only keep a five typewriters from your collection....

Hermes 3000 cursive
Super Ghia cursive
Royal P Woodgrain with mathematical keys
Folding Corona 3
Underwood Woodgrain-green

17-9-2018 00:49:12  #12

In my collection, I find I reach for the following four portables the most. All of them are excellent typers and in beautiful condition.

1940 Royal Quiet De Luxe. Mocha Brown. Royal Standard Elite 12 cpi. Mfg. Hartford, Connecticut, USA
1956 Halda Portable. Spruce Green. Congess Pica 10 cpi. Mfg. Svängsta, Sweden
1965 Olivetti Lettera 32. Seafoam Blue. Standard Elite 11 cpi. Mfg. Ivrea, Italy
1972 Olympia SM 9 De Luxe. Saturn White/Slate Gray. Modern Standard Elite 11 cpi. Mfg. Wilhelmshaven, West Germany

...and still making up my mind on the last one!

19-9-2018 07:30:10  #13

Olivetti Lettera 32
Olivetti Lettera 22
Olympia SM3
Royal Quiet Deluxe (early 40s)
Royal Model P

So far. This could change.

19-9-2018 16:26:37  #14

gnuyork wrote:

So far. This could change.

Agreed. My list would change once I restore a couple typewriters in my collection to working order. One is a standard/desktop, the other is an electric. That would leave me with the hard choice of parting with one of the above portables. But only in a mad world where people were only allowed to own a maximum of five typewriters!

27-9-2018 12:53:49  #15

This is hard!  But I think my top 5 would be:

Olympia SM4 (1958)
Hermes 2000 (1939)
Royal 10 (1919)
Optima Elite 3 (1958)
Olympia SG3 (1968)

There are so many that could be close runners-up, I hope I would never have to actually make this choice!

17-7-2019 10:46:44  #16

I started - like a lot of others i guess - with very well known machines. But for their looks, not their performance. None of those would make the cut today i think.
I have a very special feeling for my black 1956 Erika Model 10 and it types like a dream. This would be my first pick.
Second would be my black Smith-Corona Sterling from 1946. Still a looker though.
Third is a maroon Olympia SM3.
Fourth (it's getting hard now...) would be my SM9 for pure performance (and I even like the looks of it, but maybe I'm just in love?)
So now I have to start choosing and I hate that. Should it be my 1938 Royal De Luxe, my green MP1, the SF, the mint Kolibri I bought for $12 or perhaps a Hermes? I really hate this and choose not to choose. Maybe one day I'll find out.

17-7-2019 11:25:33  #17

For me it's easy; I've only got five.....
Remington Super Riter ('50s)
Remington Travel Riter ('57)
Olympia SM3 ('55)
Adler Tippa
Rheinmetall Portable ('37)

All except the Super Riter were bought this year, and I spend most evenings going through auction lists so no doubt the choice will become harder.... Of the ones I have my go-to machines are the SM3 and the Travel Riter.

17-7-2019 12:55:16  #18

That is a very nice collection of first fives indeed. 

18-7-2019 09:56:37  #19

Thank you - it's just expanded; I've just bought an Olympia SM9..... who knows where this will end! I collect the new machine tomorrow and I am very much looking forward to getting acquainted with it

18-7-2019 14:32:27  #20

If the SM is anyway near a decent condition you'll be surprised. It's just build so well and can take the most feverish typing session you can possibly think of. Great choice and I look forward to hear what you think of it.

Board footera