You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-9-2018 14:22:55  #1

IBM Actionwriter intermittent ribbon advance fix

My Actionwriter came with a continuous ink ribbon cassette. At first I thought there was a patch of ribbon which had no ink on it, because roughly every 2 pages no characters were printed for say 50 keystrokes.

But after trying 2 more ribbons, this time carbon film, and having the same problem, I realised it's probably a fault with the typewriter. I searched for known issues & fixes on the Internet, and at least one other person had asked the same question but there was no answer, so I figured I would post this fix here. At least it seems to be a fix so far!

See photo:

When a key is struck, the whole metal platform holding the cassette lifts up and the piece of plastic A moves forwards, rotating the cog B (under the metal platform) to advance the ribbon. You can see I've put a tiny bit of red marker on the upper cog connected to it (that one slots into the cassette), so I could see if it ever stopped rotating. Sure enough, when typing fast, it occasionally stopped rotating.

It turns out that the piece of plastic A didn't always reliably return to place after moving forward. Moving it forward by hand, it often stuck in the forward position for a moment or two before sliding back. I wondered if it was dragging on the bit of metal below it so used a bit of oil there - no difference. Then I wondered if the unwanted friction was between the bit of plastic and the cog that it was rotating, or thereabouts,  so I put a drop of oil on the cog B and quickly pressed lots of keys to rotate it and spread the oil around.

After that, whenever I move A forward, it reliably returns immediately. So far the Actionwriter has been working fine.

I am not sure what the best type of oil to use was; I had some Wahl Clipper (as in hair trimmer) oil, and used a drop of that. Not sure how long it will last or if it will cause issues?

16-9-2018 03:38:46  #2

Re: IBM Actionwriter intermittent ribbon advance fix

I'm sure that the clipper oil will be fine.  The best stuff to use on any typewriter (even modern plastic wedges like yours) is Sewing Machine oil - which is practically identical to the now-unobtainable typewriter oil.  Never, never be tempted to use WD-40 or similar 'lubricants', which only make things worse in the long run.

16-9-2018 08:29:23  #3

thetypewriterman wrote:

I'm sure that the clipper oil will be fine.  The best stuff to use on any typewriter (even modern plastic wedges like yours) is Sewing Machine oil - which is practically identical to the now-unobtainable typewriter oil.  Never, never be tempted to use WD-40 or similar 'lubricants', which only make things worse in the long run.

Yes I do have some WD-40 but luckily I've been reading around the subject of typewriter maintenance for long enough that I knew it's the last thing you should use in the basket of a manual to loosen type bars, so I played it safe and assumed I probably shouldn't use it on plastic cogs either.

I'm not actually sure what's in clipper oil, I just presumed it's designed for parts that move rapidly a huge number of times between applications so maybe it was okay here; though I worried a bit about applying it to plastic when clearly its normal application is to metal.

26-9-2018 18:20:11  #4

Sewing machine oil and gun oil are silicone based oils and will evaporate cleanly. Petroleum based oils, like 3-n-1 oil, will also eventually evaporate but will leave a gummy residue that you don't want in fine machinery. (WD-40 is also petroleum based but I don't think that stuff is even classed as an "oil")

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

Board footera