You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-10-2018 06:29:00  #1

Scalextric tyre oil?

Just visited a friend who is a model car racing nut, and he mentioned that he and other nutters use an oil made by Scalextric to soften the rubber tyres slightly so that they have more grip.  Wondered if anyone had used this oil on a hard platen, or knew about the advisability of doing so.

Sincerely,
beak.

10-10-2018 08:30:31  #2

Re: Scalextric tyre oil?

Well, you made me look. I could find an oil made by Scalextric (I didn't search very hard). Apparently it's a toy car brand like Matchbox and Corgi. I did find a number of articles about softening tires of said toy and slot cars, and most were recommending 3-1 oil, WD-40, and mineral oil. I also found one specific product called Parma Champion TIRE BITE. Again, it was just a cursory look and I didn't find out what exactly that product is.

All of this aside, I would first question what type of rubber was being used for these cars, and what their Shore hardness is compared to a typewriter platen which on average is around the low 80s. If they're similar than maybe it would be worth exploring. On the flipside, if you have a platen that's completely shot anyway, why not borrow some of that product from your friend a try it out on the outside edge?

I've had great results from platen rejuvenator sprays; it doesn't bring back a rock-hard platen from the grave, but it does do a great job on softening marginal ones a little. However, if you've found something new that works better, the typewriter community will have to hoist you on its shoulders and take you on a victory lap.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-10-2018 10:13:36  #3

I found this link
http://www.scalextric-shop.com/item_details.asp?code=NSR4605
but I doubt we will be able to learn the ingredients; companies are normally quite cagey about giving out that sort of information, IME.
Already asked him to let me have a drop to test, but don't know when I shall get it.

Sincerely,
beak.

10-10-2018 10:18:02  #4

...and OH Uwe - you never had a Scalextric set as a boy!  Poor you.
Here's what you missed:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO8aDC7OG28&t=74s

Sincerely,
beak.

10-10-2018 20:43:45  #5

Wow, those cars corner like they're on rails?  Very cool! And what can I say about missing out on Scalextric as a kid? I had (still have) Matchbox and Corgi cars, but the big brand in Toronto at the time, especially when it came to 'tracks', was Hot Wheels.

Bet Scalextric didn't have radical banking or jumps!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera