You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-5-2018 03:34:47  #1

platen removing

Hi everybody ! A simple question : does anybody of you know how to remove the platen of a Hermes Rocket (1941) ? Thanks !

12-5-2018 01:39:46  #2

Re: platen removing

Hi Paul

The closest I have to your machine is my 1938 Baby Empire S/N-7434 so I'll use that as my example.

Start by removing the small screw in the center of the left platen knob, this has a right hand thread. Next, remove the small metal ¼ circle plate, this just pry's off. Now loosen the left platen knob which has a left hand thread. Once this knob is loosened, loosen the set screw in the right platen knob and remove the knob from the platen shaft.

Move the carriage all the way to the left and loosen the left platen knob 5 to 6 full turns. The left end of the platen will now lift out far enough to pull the right end out of the carriage. You'll need to take care not to lose the thin thrust washer or get the ratchet wheel turned around if the left platen knob comes off completely. This is why I recommend a maximum of 6 turns. Hope this points you in the right direction,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

13-5-2018 01:26:10  #3

Thanks so much, Sky ! I will try your method today, and tell you then if I did successfully ! Have a nice sunday !
Paul.

14-5-2018 03:21:48  #4

Hi ! I want to thank you again, Sky : I followed your wise instructions and succeeded in removing safely the platen of my Hermes Rocket (Hermès Baby "Jubilée") ! Hope to help you in my turn, one day if I can !

14-5-2018 23:47:16  #5

Hi Paul

​Glad I could be of help. When I started collecting and working on these typewriters, many of the more experienced collectors on this forum were happy to help me. Now that I have some experience, I am helping newer collectors like yourself. As you gain more experience, I trust you will be willing to help other collectors and pass your knowledge on. The best thanks I can get, is knowing that the person I helped, was in turn able to help someone else down the road. Take care and all the best,

​Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

16-5-2018 03:28:35  #6

Hello Sky !
Don't worry about that : I already do help in subjects I know well about typewriter maintenance, as a member of a french typewriter forum (La passion des machines à écrire). I give some advice too, to typists who come to my monthly type-ins here in North-East France.
All the best,
Paul.

21-10-2018 05:21:10  #7

Hi sky,
          I'm a newbie on here and would just like to thank you for your post, I just bought myself 3 cheap typewriters, a silver reed leader in nearly as new condition, only defect is a hard platen, a Oliver courier and a imperial Aristocrat which both need a very extensive clean, I started with the empire, from being totally seized, after one clean its all free apart from a few sticky keys, another clean will be done, I was stuck with the the platen removal until I came across your post, thank you as I could not work it out, if you have any suggestions on platen removal on the other 2 I'm all ears, would appreciate any advice you can give if you have the time.
Kind regards
Mark

Yes dear, I promise I'm not buying another typewriter!

21-10-2018 11:43:21  #8

Hi sky,
           Just an update, got the Oliver courier platen off, it came out easily, just need to get the silver reed platen off, so any advice is welcome.
Cheers
Mark

Yes dear, I promise I'm not buying another typewriter!

Board footera