You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-10-2018 13:21:46  #1

Silver reed sr100 platen

Does anyone know how you remove the platen on a silver reed sr100, i'm really scratching my head over this one, I've tried searching for a similar post on here but can't seem to find anything.
Cheers
Mark

Yes dear, I promise I'm not buying another typewriter!

21-10-2018 14:50:06  #2

Re: Silver reed sr100 platen

Hi Mark

To remove platen on Silver Reed SR100. Set carriage to center position, grasp RH platen knob and loosen LH platen knob LEFT HAND THREAD (the left platen knob also loosens so the platen can be turned fractionally between ratchet detents as a line finder). Move the carriage to the right of center and loosen the 2 screws (possibly Phillips) on the right platen knob and slide knob off platen shaft. Disengage the paper feed rolls and the line lock detent, set the shift lock and move carriage to far left position going past the right margin (using the margin release key if necessary). Completely remove the left platen knob, the carriage will now lift out from the left end and slide out from the right end.

Pay particular attention to all the line advance mechanism pieces, they tend to fall out and can be somewhat of a bearcat to get back together in the right order. Take pictures with your smartphone or digital camera as you go so you have a pictorial record of each step to help with reassembly. Hope this helps,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

21-10-2018 15:27:48  #3

Cheers sky, I'll give this a go tomorrow, currently soaking the other 2 platens in a concoction of rubbing alcohol and wintergreen oil extract, looked it up on you tube, someone tried it on rock hard motorcycle carburetor inlet tubes they went from hard to soft and supple, just like brand new original, anyway I think it's worth a go.
Cheers
Mark

22-10-2018 03:50:14  #4

Hi sky,
          You absolute 🌟, tried what you said and it worked, however and I'm not sure if it makes any difference, it's a silver reed leader II, I also have a silver reed sr100 that missing a part but is stuck fast and still won't budge, the leader which is the working typewriter undone easily, so now its soaking in my concoction lol, I'd had a look at the first platen I put in, and though it's firm still, the texture is different, it gives ever so slightly with my nail, but not enough to leave a indentation, we'll see at the end of the week.
Regards
Mark

22-10-2018 22:48:45  #5

Hi Mark

It looks like the Silver Reed Leader is the same base unit as the SR100, just with a tabulator system. The platen should come off the SR100 the same way. You may need to wrap a length of seat belt webbing around the platen and pinch the ends together with a pair of pliers to use as a strap wrench so you can hold it solid while you loosen the left platen knob. Tom The Typewriter Man will probably have some good suggestions on how to get the left platen knob off. What part of your SR100 is missing? All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

23-10-2018 02:16:47  #6

Hi sky
          I'm just missing the platen ratchet gear and possibly a washer, everything else works as it should.

Board footera