You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-11-2018 04:45:56  #761

Re: New Member Thread

Dear Polcelain, by all means try to post some pictures of the machine.  I am sure that someone on here can help identify it.

17-11-2018 07:08:18  #762

should i make a thread elsewhere or do it here?
will respond in the morning

17-11-2018 10:50:07  #763

Please create a new thread in the Portables sub-forum. This thread is dedicated to new member introductions.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-11-2018 16:38:05  #764

thank you for your help!
i will do so shortly, keep an eye out

06-12-2018 00:18:00  #765

My fifth post, and I finally remembered to come in here.   I got my first typewriter a month ago out of necessity--needed to get off the computer and unplug, for a variety of reasons--and discovered that a typewriter carries a certain ... infection with it.  Which is, you get one, and then you want another one.

So about a month ago, I bought a pretty blue Smith Corona Super Sterling from the '60s, which serves my typing needs wonderfully. (Really, she's a sporty little thing--drives like a dream, if she does eventually need her platen recoated.)  But along the way of choosing the right typewriter--and finding this forum--and poking around way too much on Ebay--I got hooked on the idea of restoring a real "oldie." 

The Underwood 5 is supposed to show up later this week. I do not know what I am doing, but plan to enjoy the learning curve. She's a mess, but not a (complete) bucket of rust.  And the keychoppers will never have her now. *rubs hands together* 

07-12-2018 02:56:50  #766

Hello and welcome CGirl - would love to know more about why you wanted to unplug.

Sincerely,
beak.

07-12-2018 13:30:05  #767

beak wrote:

- would love to know more about why you wanted to unplug.

Well, there's a few physical things.  I've found a typewriter is better for my posture, and easier on my eyes--which I suspected would be the case.  The other is that in writing fiction on a computer, it's very easy to scroll up and down to rework the same material endlessly.  You don't have to retype a whole page, you merely change a sentence or a paragraph and create a new file.  For some people (like me), this leads to bad writing habits, because we end up trying to perfect what we've done without ever moving ahead. Thus, it becomes impossible to produce a first draft that would provide the material for more effective revisions. 

The typewriter almost completely eliminates this problem. It's too much work for me to change a page more than once or twice at most.  I find myself scribbling a few notes in the margins and moving on.  I don't look back constantly at what I've written, because I can't "scroll up." I can't play games on the computer and pretend I'm "thinking about it."  I don't hop over to the Internet by opening a web browser every time I want to look up something--I make a note and deal with it later.  Technologically, I've had to move backwards to move ahead.

And, it's working wonderfully.

08-12-2018 08:26:57  #768

I realize that I've never actually posted in here despite being a member for a few months.

Howdy! I'm Evan and reside in Virginia, USA. I have several interests in typewriters including collecting, repairing/restoring, and writing. Though, I must admit, I'm not much of a writer. I have a fascination with Royal Model Ps (of which I have 6 so far), 3-bank portables and machines of a similar silhouette, and typewriter ephemera.

One of my more admired typewriters is a 1944 Imperial Good Companion with cork platen. It's in rather rough shape, but I do plan to restore it at some point.

The Tinkering Typist, Master Tinkerteer.
https://thetinkeringtypist.com

08-12-2018 15:44:13  #769

Welcome to the forum Evan (tinkeringtypist) !  Your Imperial GC has a cork platen because after four years of war, we had pretty well run out of rubber.  If it is a 1944 model, there will be a lot of parts in black that would have been chromium plated before the war.  Right at the end of the war, Imperial were so hard up for rubber that they even started to fit cork feet.  The cork feet do not stand up to wear very well, but the cork platen is excellent and will have retained its elasticity after all these years.  A rubber platen would have gone rock-hard by now of course.

09-12-2018 05:03:25  #770

CoronaGirl wrote:

beak wrote:

- would love to know more about why you wanted to unplug.

Well, there's a few physical things.  ............

Yup - you hit the nail right on the bonce there.  Computers encourage you to re-edit endlessly, whereas TWs push you to retype and so rethink.  That is why so many creative and scientific writers still use them.  My method is crash it all out triple-spaced, and then sit with a pen and read and correct, perhaps massively.  Then retype.  That's usually all it takes for me to get the thoughts down coherently.
  I too love the total absence of distraction and of any form of pressure.  The TW just sits there silently, all day if necessary, but the computer goads you to fiddle with it, even if just to keep it charged.
  I think you made a good choice.

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera