You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-11-2018 21:23:35  #1

Hermes Rocket Typewriter single space issue

Hello!

I recently picked up a Hermes Rocket typewriter that appears to be in great condition. My issue has to do with the single space function on my unit. When I return the carriage to begin a new line, the spacing doesn't work. The carriage advances, but the platen doesn't turn at all. It looks as though the carriage return lever makes contact with the line spacing knob, thus preventing the small metal arm that moves the gear from making contact. I hope most of this makes sense. The typewriter seems to work correctly when the line spacing is set to double, by the way. I am just missing single space. I will try to have a video available to show you exactly what I am talking about, but someone may be able to help in the meantime. 

Thanks very much!

25-11-2018 22:13:52  #2

Re: Hermes Rocket Typewriter single space issue

26-11-2018 04:19:55  #3

A previous owner has crammed the machine into its carry case without folding the linespace lever back.  They have bent the linespace lever downwards and this is why it will not work properly.

26-11-2018 11:50:16  #4

That makes sense. I will have a closer look when I get a chance later this evening. Perhaps it is fixable. I will get some detailed pictures of the linespace lever, and perhaps someone could advise with a repair. Thank you for the reply!

26-11-2018 23:18:31  #5

I got one of these (WW II vintage) earlier this fall and had to do some careful bending to get the lever assembly straightened out, so that I could adjust the line spacing. Work carefully and you should be OK.

27-11-2018 14:39:39  #6

Hi Matt

This seems to be a fairly common issue with these little travel typewriters, I've received several with bent line advance levers. For straightening this lever, I would suggest removing the lever from the unit (take pictures as you go) and straighten it in a soft jawed vice or cloth over the vice jaws so as not to scratch the chrome. The part of the lever that attaches to the carriage should be absolutely straight, and always remember to fold the lever extension back before reinstalling the clam shell cover. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

28-11-2018 00:01:49  #7

Thanks to everyone for the input! I removed lever that appears to be bent, and will straitened it up soon. The bend looks so clean that I couldn't tell it was damage! Also I doubt this damage was done by the case, as this model came to me in the leatherette satchel. Probably too soft to bend the metal parts. Anyways, I will reply with an update after I straitened up the lever.

Board footera