You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-11-2018 14:38:32  #1

Is full restoration worth the money?

Hi all.

I am interested in either the smith corona silent or olympia sm 3.  I see gorgeous machines on line fully restored for $450-750.  I have little access to true typewriter gurus (closest shop to me has not done a great job on my hermes rocket or Remmington Remette).  Given that, is it ever worth purchasing a fully restored machine, or better to get one that needs work (oh so hard to sort out on line) and try to find someone to restore it....thanks so much for your input!
Dr Deb

"What you seek is seeking you"-Rumi

28-11-2018 17:09:01  #2

Re: Is full restoration worth the money?

You don't need to spend more than $50 to find a fully functioning typewriter in good condition. The only time I could see spending an extreme amount of money for a restored machine is if it was of significant historical value, or if you were investing the money in refurbishing a family heirloom. It's also worth noting that most of these restored examples that you see online are not professionally restored at all. For example, I know of someone in my area who buys typewriters for around $50, cleans them up, oils a few parts, and then flips them for the prices you mentioned. He's just a middleman who profits by misrepresenting who he is and what services he performs.

As for the two excellent models that you're interested in, there are very common and with a little hunting you should be able to buy either for next to nothing. And if you learn to clean and perform a little maintenance yourself you'll save a lot of money and be far more familiar with your typewriter.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-11-2018 21:24:12  #3

I appreciate your thoughts.  Thank you.
Dr. Deb

30-11-2018 16:51:42  #4

Those are good, solid choices. You should be able to find a good one of each. Just compare appearances. If it looks clean and without rust, you have a good chance at getting a good one. Make sure it has a good case, too. You should be able to get a good SC Silent, perhaps needing a little cleaning and a new ribbon, for no more than $100. The Olympia might be a little more, say $150 online. I found my 1946 Silent and 1958 Olympia at antique stores for a lot less.

30-11-2018 20:53:58  #5

I appreciate your tips!

Board footera