You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-1-2019 13:53:26  #1

Newfound Typerwriter fan from Ohio!

Greetings from Dayton, Ohio.  I have had the itch to procure a typewriter since watching the expose early in 2018 that CBS This Morning did on Tom Hanks and his obsession with manual typewriters.  I was struck right away with how visceral and romantic putting your words onto paper through the process of a manual typewriter.  Time had passed and my itch went away, and then to my glee CBS This Morning re-ran that segment again just after Christmas.

So I was hooked again and this time I asked around my family first.  Low and Behold I quickly procured two manual typewriters both in great working order.  All gifted to me by family members.

I have a lightweight sea foam color Smith Corona Corsair Deluxe, and a Royal Safari.  Both are fairly clean and type well, they just need new ribbons which I have promptly ordered.

I am in the process of cleaning them up (although they don't need much).  

One thing I'm stuck on is getting the bottom case off of my Smith Corona Corsair Deluxe but hopefully I'll gain some guidance on the forum.

To my shock all three of my boys 13, 4, and 2 are obsessed with the machines.  They spent the whole weekend taking turns typing away.

My goal is to use it to write notes to my family and proper thank you's when the times arise.

Cheers!

08-1-2019 08:01:34  #2

Re: Newfound Typerwriter fan from Ohio!

Mission accomplished on fully disassembling the Corsair Deluxe.  The machine looks amazing all cleaned up.  I lubricated all pivot points using Rem-Oil.  I'm just awaiting my new ribbons to arrive and the Corsair is good to go.

Now on to the Royal Safari for a proper cleaning and lubrication.

08-1-2019 09:59:06  #3

My 4 year old son is obsessed with the Smith Corona.  Setting up his "office" at the dining room to table and requesting that everyone "be quiet".  

He's a mad-man

08-1-2019 09:59:36  #4

AndyCatlett wrote:

My 4 year old son is obsessed with the Smith Corona.  Setting up his "office" at the dining room to table and requesting that everyone "be quiet".  

He's a mad-man

*Fixing image link

https://ibb.co/LZmVnyr

08-1-2019 10:07:25  #5

More photos of the Smith Corona Corsair Deluxe
https://ibb.co/album/mXosva

Board footera