You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-1-2019 15:22:07  #11

Re: Smith Corona Changeable Type

I have a '3 series' changeable type kit containing two square brackets ' [ ] '.  It has the late square white keytop, still in its original box and never fitted to a typewriter.  It is for sale very cheaply if anyone is interested.........  

29-1-2019 16:30:51  #12

I would think that the OP would jump on that offer, Tom. I don't think I have a Smith-Corona that uses those keys - I'm going to have to take a look now - otherwise I'd be interested myself. Maybe Michael would be interested too? 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-1-2019 17:56:34  #13

I'm covered with that combo, Tom, thanks.
Uwe, I often don't switch the keytops when I use alternate slugs for a short time, but just place the alternate keytop nearby as a reminder and type away. If you have a need for a pair of square brackets, you might use them like this. It's a little different if you are going to leave the alternates permanently on a particular typewriter.

30-1-2019 12:53:31  #14

That's pretty smart. It would be tempting fate - and aging plastic - to be continuously swapping those keytops. Although it would be fun to collect all of the different sets, in truth I'd have very little use for the majority of them. Looking over the order form I could only see having a practical need for two of them: #18 (Umlaut/Eszett) to replace the standard += key; and #25 (Section/Exclamation Mark) to replace the standard 1! key.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-11-2023 09:41:40  #15

Uwe wrote:

That's pretty smart. It would be tempting fate - and aging plastic - to be continuously swapping those keytops.  .... snip ....

Had occasion to revisit this thread and found an idea I want to correct. Regarding Smith-Corona's Change-A-Type keytops---it's not the entire keytop that gets changed, only the very top of the keytop, which is designed to pop off via a fingernail. We do not pull the whole keytop off its shaft---that would indeed threaten the aging plastic very quickly. It's a well-designed system.

13-11-2023 16:26:11  #16

I was recently contacted by someone who found a number of different sets, some really neat (including the happy and sad faces), and wanted my advice as to what he should do with them. He offered me first choice, but I couldn't see myself spending any money on an accessory that would get very little use. I think he sold them fairly quickly on eBay.

Board footera