You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-2-2019 17:39:29  #1

1938 Rheinmetall Portable

Just thought I would share some photos of this typewriter I have had for quite some time. How rare are they? Its in Mint Condition. 

12-2-2019 18:17:19  #2

Re: 1938 Rheinmetall Portable

Looks like a late '30s model. Certainly not a rare machine, but like many brands how many you find locally is very dependent on where you live. I quite like the optional language keys it was fitted with, which isn't as common. I'd love to see a sharp image of a slug that shows the typeface stamping.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-2-2019 16:20:34  #3

17-2-2019 18:33:49  #4

Hmmm... 

This is a very rare typewriter and in this condition its unheard of.

There's no point in my disputing your sales hyperbole since someone already bid $150 USD on it. I find that amount to be stunning even though I shouldn't be surprised; I know of a few buyers/collectors around here who regularly overpay for typewriters too. Good luck with your sale.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-2-2019 21:47:44  #5

True but the condition and it is 80 years old. Imagine what it would cost to make one today. It would be over $1000.00. 

20-2-2019 19:51:55  #6

Pricing isn't based on its age (I have a number of typewriters that are much older and paid a fraction of what your machine sold for) or what it would cost to make today; like so many other things that are collected, pricing is determined by supply and demand. The aesthetic condition of your machine is decent, but not great, and it's certainly not a rare model, so I know that I could buy one for far less. And all of that is ignoring the bigger concern, which is the Rheinmetall's mechanical condition.

There are of course those who don't have a clue as to the value of these machines, and even some who should know better but still overpay, and those are the people who you would hope to find when selling a machine on eBay. I think you did rather well with your sale.

12-6-2019 02:33:05  #7

I managed to buy one yesterday, similar condition, for 55 euro. I live in the Netherlands. When I was doing my homework I found a few others varying in asking price from 130 to 398 (!!!) euro. Like anything else it's worth what you are willing to pay for it. I'm very happy with my machine and I'm looking forward to using it.

Board footera