You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-3-2019 12:34:31  #1

1930 Royal P with Vogue: decisions

Hello typewriter collectors,

I'm Charles. I collect pre-War machines mostly as a user, and therefore try to keep the accumuation at a minimum. At the moment I have two Royal P machines, both 1930 models. One (which I intend to keep) is the basic black one with Pica 10-pitch. The other is a serendipitous Craigslist find, bearing the mahogany woodgrain finish and, after I got it to go, Vogue type.

I'm trying to get rid of the Royal Vogue portable and a 1920 Woodstock 5. How much do you think the Vogue-equipped machine might sell for, considering it is in about a 75% condition--absolutely beautiful but unused in decades?

The only one I have seen sell was one on eBay which sold for $650. It was green DuoTone finished and looked very nice, but I think all the Model P Royals look nice--and type nicely too.

Also, if anyone wants it, let me know.

04-3-2019 19:15:00  #2

Re: 1930 Royal P with Vogue: decisions

Location? Your guess is as good as anyone's in terms of what you could get for the machine. There are those who go nuts over a typeface and will pay a ridiculous (by my standards) amount for such a machine, and then there are collectors such as myself who aren't willing to pay much of a premium at all for such a feature because they do turn up, just like it did for you.

The ruby red Royal P that I own with a Vogue typeface cost me around $125 CDN, but I wasn't very happy with myself for spending that much. 

My advice would be to ask for the moon (think eBay or Etsy pricing) and see what kind of offers you get. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-3-2019 17:45:38  #3

I agree with Uwe, the machine is worth what the buyer is ready to pay, lately a lot for this typeface. 650 seems to be ridiculous to me, but in the other hand I will be happy to pay 125 for one if I can resell it for 6 times that price! So yes, for 125, I want it! lol  

26-3-2019 11:36:39  #4

UPDATE:

After thinking about what to do, I decided to do it. The machine went on eBay for $550 last night and sold this morning for asking price.

Who knew an old typewriter could be worth so much?

Thanks to everyone who responded--you guys seem to have a lot of luck hunting machines. And since I like the style of these early Royals,  I'm keeping my black Royal P with Pica type.

26-3-2019 13:40:23  #5

Huzzah!

01-4-2019 19:24:49  #6

Nice!  I’ve been on the hunt for a royal Vogue for ages.  I’ve seen the, go for as much as 1,000USD.
Personaly I’d never spend so much.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

Board footera