You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-2-2019 16:12:52  #1

What else do you collect, or have you collected in the past?

Forgive me if this topic already exists (I couldn’t find find it). I guess it’s closely related to the hobby thread.

For me:
- Acoustic and Electric Guitars
- Valve Amplifiers
- Guitar Effects Pedals
- Vinyl
- CD’s
- Nikon Film Cameras And Lenses
- Raleigh/BSA bicycles
- Typewriters

I seem to go through periods of discovery and acquisition, followed by a period (at some point) of purging. Typewriters is the new thing, and while I envisage that I’ll follow the same cycle, it would be nice to already know what my favourite few typewriters are, and just buy them in the first place.

20-2-2019 19:57:07  #2

Re: What else do you collect, or have you collected in the past?

I definitely go through phases, but have in the past among other things collected wristwatches, fountain pens, sneakers, and books. I've never considered despite having a large number of vinyl albums and CDs to be collecting them, rather it's more a by-product of my love of music; in other words I buy an album because I like the group/music and want to listen to it and not because the album is rare or otherwise collectable. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-3-2019 21:29:37  #3

Edison Phonographs
Victor Talking Machines
fountain pens
Antique records, pre-1950
An occasional pocket watch
I'm starting with early radios...

23-11-2019 23:53:18  #4

Straight razors
Fountain pens
Matcha bowls
Analog photography equipment
Art

In all instances I’m looking for esthetically pleasing and functional items. I’m not looking for that needle in the haystack.

27-4-2020 15:59:45  #5

Coins, lost interest and sold off most once eBay made coin collecting an exercise in credit card payments.

CDs and Vinyl, which I digitized, then sold/gave way to clear up the house a bit.

Bicycles, more of an accumulation than a collection, I bike a lot and have several different types for very different uses.

I am trying to not collect things any more and don't plan to buy any more typewriters and fix up the ones I have, cleaning for one, restoration for another.

15-1-2022 18:55:13  #6

I collect too much.  Fountain pens, reel to reel decks, cameras, books, but they all get used.  They don't just sit around!

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

14-6-2022 08:09:51  #7

Vintage CF Martin acoustic guitars and German & Swiss Luger pistols.

I sold and cashed-in both collections with our move to Idaho and the purchase of our retirement home.

And the tax-man knew nothing about it. 

Kept one guitar and one Luger & its leather holster.

14-6-2022 11:51:59  #8

Pete E. wrote:

I sold and cashed-in both collections ...

Fifteen years ago I sold the camera system I had begun investing in when I was thirteen. The camera, a number of lenses, motor drive, flash units and filters, all of them traded in for a measly $70 CAD credit toward a new digital camera.

I was convinced at the time that film was dead - and that it was better to get anything I could for my gear, even if it was essentially nothing. I was wrong. Film is very much alive, and I deeply lament having sold the equipment I had worked so hard to obtain as a teenager, and had heavily used for many years. 

During the COVID break I decided to return to film, and since then I've been trying to replace my precious gear without much luck. I've found other cameras I wanted to use and learn more about, and in the process I have amassed a small collection of film cameras, but I still haven't been able to find the exact model I wanted - for a reasonable price. 

Much like typewriters, film gear is grossly overpriced at the moment. In fact, I've found many parallels when it comes to finding and buying typewriters and cameras. With both you have to contend with the profiteers who are out there flipping the fairly-priced cameras they've found for ten-fold-plus profits. Patience and keeping a level head (during auctions), and avoiding the temptation of buying those cheaper examples that have small issues, has been my approach so far. 

I could easily just pay someone today their inflated price and be done with this search, but having already been burned by the camera store when I sold my gear, I refuse to provide someone with a handsome profit just for finding a camera before I did. And as many of us here know, the hunt is often a big part of the fun.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-6-2022 12:48:09  #9

Where to begin?  A lot of vintage film cameras from Minox to 4 X5 field cameras with a lot of enlargers and other darkroom equipment.  I have also collect vintage stereo with turntables, reel to reel and a lot of amps. vinyl and CD's.  Some pocket knives.  Waiters corkscrews.  Slide rules.  Bell telephones.  Coleman lanterns and stoves.  I started with typewriters in the 1980's before it was cool (and expensive.)  At 73 I have come to a point that I have to start downsizing. 
Uwe and anybody else, let me know what camera you are looking for as I might have it.  

14-6-2022 13:02:02  #10

I'll add my heap to the discussion.
Mostly cameras, still and motion picture. 
I have a small stable of working old bicycles, and a few years of professional experience overhauling and rebuilding Sturmey-Archer hubs. 
Uwe, I have quite a bit of extra photo gear that I don't need (we can only shoot with one camera at a time, really) so let us know and we may be able to cobble together the kit you want. 

Phil Forrest

Board footera