You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-4-2019 10:01:11  #1

Smith Corona Silent Return lever vertical play

Greetings,

I am working on a Smith Corona Silent and the carriage return lever is having issues. There is vertical looseness as well as the lever being positioned too low and scraping the top when it returns. The lever is engaged correctly with the teeth and platen is advancing correctly. 

does anyone know where i can adjust it's vertical position and tighten it into place?

I can provide video if anybody wants to give it a look. thank you!

02-4-2019 10:16:16  #2

Re: Smith Corona Silent Return lever vertical play

I think it is actually called the Line Space Lever. Apologies if I got this wrong.

02-4-2019 11:19:28  #3

The lever may be bent, especially if the machine has taken a fall.  If it’s really lose, you may want to tighten the adjustment screw/pivot screw and tighten things up.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

02-4-2019 11:22:38  #4

it seems that the entire lever is loose and moving freely vertically. I will look for the adjustment/pivot screw. 

02-4-2019 12:20:29  #5

Okay, so the first image is the screw.  The leaver has a pin on the bottom side, and is held in by a screw on the top side.

On the second image, make sure the bracket that holds the leaver is straight.

Final image, proper leaver clearance.  Your leaver is either bent, the bracket is bent, or it’s lose.

03-4-2019 07:45:00  #6

Thank you so much for your info on this. I am still struggling to find which screw or bolt should be tightened to keep it in place, but I will keep looking. 

04-4-2019 14:39:55  #7

Arm fixed! There was a screw missing that held the entire bracket with the arm in place. A trip to the hardware store was able to find a replacement screw and once it was tightened everything snapped into place. I was able to bend the handle upwards a bit to clear some height. Working quite well now. Thank you Lucas Dul for your generous knowledge and assistance. 

18-5-2019 08:41:03  #8

Of course!  I am very glad you were able to fix it!  Congratulations!

Board footera