You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-2-2019 16:57:41  #1

1953 Royal QDL Vertical Alignment

Hey all, got a new 1953 QDL. Need to do some fixing up to it and first is the lowercase alignment. Lowercase seem to hit hire and the lower part of the letter doesn't ink as well. Does anyone know where to adjust the vertical alignment? I can't seem to find the 2 screws. Thanks

19-2-2019 00:39:54  #2

Re: 1953 Royal QDL Vertical Alignment

"And the operator said 40 cents more for the next 3 minutes."

Hi Dime

These Royals have 2 sets of vertical shift stop screws, one pair each end of the carriage rail. Set the machine in front of you with the keyboard facing away from you so you're looking at the back of the unit. Move the carriage to your left and look at the exposed end of the carriage rail, you should see 2 set screws with lock nuts just in front of the front carriage rail .

Press the shift key and one of the screws will move down with the basket, this is the upper case stop screw. The screw that stays still is the lower case stop screw. You MUST loosen the lock nut on each screw before you attempt to adjust the screw, otherwise you'll very quickly ruin the screw. I think you'll find these lock nuts take a 7/32" socket to turn them. Best of luck,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

19-2-2019 13:13:45  #3

skywatcher wrote:

Hi Dime

These Royals have 2 sets of vertical shift stop screws, one pair each end of the carriage rail. Set the machine in front of you with the keyboard facing away from you so you're looking at the back of the unit. Move the carriage to your left and look at the exposed end of the carriage rail, you should see 2 set screws with lock nuts just in front of the front carriage rail .

Press the shift key and one of the screws will move down with the basket, this is the upper case stop screw. The screw that stays still is the lower case stop screw. You MUST loosen the lock nut on each screw before you attempt to adjust the screw, otherwise you'll very quickly ruin the screw. I think you'll find these lock nuts take a 7/32" socket to turn them. Best of luck,

Sky

Thanks for this. I'll try this when I get home from my dad's later this week.

25-2-2019 14:17:30  #4

skywatcher wrote:

Hi Dime

Sky

Hi sky,
I found the screws. Thank you, however how do I get a wrench down there? Do I have to take the typewriter apart or is there an easier disassembly/socket to use?

Thanks

25-2-2019 16:20:25  #5

Hi Again

The original adjusting tool or Royal portables (Ames tool Nº A-P5-65) was a wooden handled nut driver with a slender flat blade screw driver that inserted through the handle of the nut driver so the lock nut and the screw could both be adjusted at the same time with one tool. However, these tools are few and far between, so I would suggest obtaining a ¼" drive 7/32" thin walled deep socket and a ratchet or flex handle to drive the socket. Your local NAPA or Auto-Zone store should be able to help you with these tools.

Once the nut is loosened, remove the ratchet or flex handle from the socket and thread a small screw driver (like a 1/8" electrician's screw driver) through the socket to adjust the screw. You will be able to lock the nut just tight enough to hold the screw in place by turning the socket with your finger and thumb while you are adjusting the other screws. Once you are satisfied that all 4 screws are adjusted to your liking, give each nut a gentle tweak with the ¼" ratchet or flex handle on the socket, just enough to stop the lock nuts from coming loose during normal operation.

Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

19-3-2019 19:10:25  #6

skywatcher wrote:

Hi Again

The original adjusting tool or Royal portables (Ames tool Nº A-P5-65) was a wooden handled nut driver with a slender flat blade screw driver that inserted through the handle of the nut driver so the lock nut and the screw could both be adjusted at the same time with one tool. However, these tools are few and far between, so I would suggest obtaining a ¼" drive 7/32" thin walled deep socket and a ratchet or flex handle to drive the socket. Your local NAPA or Auto-Zone store should be able to help you with these tools.

Once the nut is loosened, remove the ratchet or flex handle from the socket and thread a small screw driver (like a 1/8" electrician's screw driver) through the socket to adjust the screw. You will be able to lock the nut just tight enough to hold the screw in place by turning the socket with your finger and thumb while you are adjusting the other screws. Once you are satisfied that all 4 screws are adjusted to your liking, give each nut a gentle tweak with the ¼" ratchet or flex handle on the socket, just enough to stop the lock nuts from coming loose during normal operation.

Hope this points you in the right direction,

Sky

Hi thanks for this. I'm going to try to obtain one and will update you then on the status of this when I finally obtain one.

29-4-2019 12:18:40  #7

Hi everyone,

Got some progress done but still having some problems. From what I've tweaked with, I've tried moving the capitals down as low as they go and lowercase as high but still have problems. Am I doing this wrong? If not what are some times.

Here is what I have right now

18-5-2019 08:45:17  #8

Keep going. Make sure you’re turning them the right way, you might need to turn a lot more just to see a change.  If that’s not working try adjusting the lowercase.
In a resting position, the bolts that the carriage sit on control the lowercase, and during shift, the bolts it hits are uppercase.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

Board footera