You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-7-2014 09:21:11  #1

Corona Floating Shift Silent

Ok, I have to admit that it was the colour and the shape of this typewriter which led me to bid impulsively for it until it was mine. I knew absolutely nothing at all about these machines apart from the fact that they look great, and in this maroon colour, even greater. But when it arrived, Oh Dear. It was rattling about in its case with various bits broken or loose or squished out of shape. Having had it in my hands, even in a horrible broken state, I didn't want to send it back for a refund. Instead I sent it off to be repaired, and it came back last week. Not only was it repaired, it also had a thorough face-lift and a resurfaced platen, all for an extremely reasonable fee.
So now I know a little bit more about these machines I know that it already had its variable line space knob missing when I purchased it. Not sure if this can be replaced at all, but for the moment it isn't a massive concern.
I love this typewriter! It types as well as it looks. Of course, it's not actually silent. I don't know why they ever thought it should be called that, but it is very much quieter than my other typewriters.
The touch control under the ribbon cover has 7 settings and does work.
The enormously long carriage return arm was a puzzle to me at first until I realised how ridiculously easy it is to work it with my little finger. The margin release on the right is also very easy to reach with my little finger as well.
I'm a sucker for round keys and though these are not glass-topped, are very nice, comfortable and not at all slippy thanks to the slight indent in the centre of each one.
Being British I miss the £ key and have no use for the $ and the cent keys but never mind, there is a really very nice asterisk which looks like a tiny flower, and a # key as well as the @ too.
The Tab function works really well. There are four metal tabs at the back which you have to pull off and position where you want them. Not as simple as something like the Lettera 22 tab function and I do confuse these two and keep on switching the ribbon reverse by mistake - going to take some getting used to that one!
I tried typing with this on my knee (attached to its case base) and this led me to stand on the scales with the typewriter. It weighs a whole Stone. So Portable, yes, but mind and bend your knees and keep your back straight. This is one typewriter you need a porter to shift for you at the train station, and since we no longer have porters in the UK, this typewriter will not be travelling anywhere unless I move house.
But the main thing: when I looked at this typewriter I imagined myself writing my next big project on it. A daft and very insensible assumption to make purely on looks.  But it really is a big project machine. Phew!
It has a tiny dent on the far left ribbon cover, and some minor paint scratches, the decals are completely gone, but for a light ghostly impression, but these are minor issues for me. 
The serial number is 2S 69785 so I think this makes it late 1938. Please correct me if I"m wrong!
Oh, and the winning bid was 42 quid.

24-7-2014 23:04:17  #2

Re: Corona Floating Shift Silent

Quid? Stone? I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic I think.

That is a simply gorgeous machine, its streamline case made the more elegant by the rich burgundy paint. I particularly like the 'crossed swords' paper rest. It's a fantastic catch! I've love to see a few more photos if you have the time.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-7-2014 04:41:58  #3

Re: Corona Floating Shift Silent

Uwe wrote:

Quid? Stone? I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic I think.

£/Pounds and 14lbs in weight!  if you tell me what something weighs in kilos, I can't picture it at all!

Board footera