You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-3-2013 16:00:57  #11

Re: Underwood Standard Portable Typewriter - My Review

I never really understood the appeal of three-bank typewriters. But I can assure you that the 4-bank underwood portable is worth the purchase. 

Right now, I'm chasing after a Remington or Royal. 

The only downside to these older portables, is the lack of a paper-rest. The result is that when you have a fresh sheet, or you're nearly finished typing on a sheet, the paper flops over the back of the machine, which can be annoying when you're pushing the carriage around during typing. 

Last edited by Shangas (20-3-2013 07:14:07)

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

26-3-2013 09:48:15  #12

Someday I will own an Underwood typewriter. Someday. The bulf of my collection right now is Royal with a few Smith-Coronas in there. Nice review.

Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. This way if you're right you will have a headstart and they will be barefoot.

26-3-2013 14:05:13  #13

Hemingway wrote:

Someday I will own an Underwood typewriter. Someday. The bulf of my collection right now is Royal with a few Smith-Coronas in there. Nice review.

I'm not sure why, maybe because it seems to be the most common brand in my area, but I intentionally avoided Underwood models. Just recently I ended up buying an Underwood Master along with two other typewriters from Valiant, another member of this forum. And then last weekend I picked up an Underwood Champion.

Those two models have changed the way I look at Underwood, and I won't hesitate to add other examples from that particular manufacturer should the opportunity arise.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-3-2013 15:35:18  #14

In Australia, where I live, typewriters, or antiques of any kind, are as rare as hen's teeth. I probably overpaid for this machine by a bit. But I knew if I didn't grab it, I'd never be able to afford it. Most typewriters around here are from the postwar era. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

11-8-2014 14:01:05  #15

I read where a fellow had two Olympias that he used for a number of years.  He said they were good typers but not of the quality of an Underwood.   I always heard that Olympias were of top quality, and the later than l950 Underwoods had gone down in quality.  Could he have been right?  Or where could his idea of Underwood have come from?   The Underwood Standard might be another matter.

13-8-2014 01:07:01  #16

Very nice! I  want to get the 3-bank version of this preferably 1916. I already have a 1920 Corona 3. I'm currently fixing the drawstring and unsticking the keys.

13-8-2014 01:13:41  #17

Very nice! It's a very perfect looking machine. I  want to get the 3-bank version. I  have a 1920 Corona 3. I'm currently fixing the drawstring and unsticking the keys.

Board footera