You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-8-2014 16:02:58  #11

Re: The basics of how the ribbon works and how to change it...

Thanks Mike! I'm going to buy some ribbons and go from there.
There is an ebay seller that sells modern reprouctions of the correct size metal spools and ribbon for the remingtons I have. So I am going to get those.

12-8-2014 16:06:48  #12

Glad to be of help.

That seller is a great find! Maybe you could share the link to his e-store on eBay; I'd like to see if he carries spools for other machines, too.

12-8-2014 17:14:03  #13

15-8-2014 21:38:47  #14

When winding the new ribbon on the old spools, be careful to notice the direction the ribbon is wound before removing it. Some machines wind the ribbon clockwise and others counter-clockwise.

This is a very detailed instruction document with theory of operation and good illustrations. It may actually have too much information, but could be helpful to learn the basics of operation.
http://hnsa.org/doc/typewriter/part3.htm

Clark

03-9-2014 00:08:08  #15

Hi Comma

When I used to contribute to the portable typewriter forum on Yahoo groups, I posted some pictures of loading ribbon onto a Remington 5 streamline. I'll paste the url to my album on the Yahoo group,  https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/theportabletypewriterforum/photos/albums/370297568/lightbox/1861349673?orderBy=ordinal&sortOrder=asc&photoFilter=ALL#zax/117545228 whether it will work or not, I have no idea. However, if it does, take a look at the pictures and see if they help. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera