You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-4-2013 13:27:00  #1

Blogging

Anyone have views on the best blogging platforms? Anything to avoid?

I've heard good things about SquareSpace, but they charge a monthly fee. WordPress seems a hassle to set up. Blogger looks good...

17-4-2013 14:54:33  #2

Re: Blogging

I an using Blogger and it has worked well for me.  At times I have trouble figuring out how to do something but working with it more often makes it easier.

My Blog;
http://www.earlyfans.com

My newer interest in typewriters has caused me to neglect my fans blog but I will get back to it.

17-4-2013 15:49:29  #3

What fantastic machines.

I think fans must have been an unheard of luxury in that period in the UK (our summers being too short and mild). I've never seen one for sale over here, or even on display.

It's great having antique machines you can actually make practical use of.

Forgive me if it's explained in the text (I haven't read it all), but I'm assuming that the dials set with ball-bearings are designed to carry current. Does that mean you could get a shock if you touched them?

17-4-2013 17:31:41  #4

I use Wordpress. I find it excellent. It's very easy to use. Otherwise I wouldn't have picked it. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

17-4-2013 22:58:10  #5

It may be because the UK is much cooler than much of the USA that there are not many fans there.  I know that we have some Antique Fan Collectors Association club members in the UK and some have some pretty nice fans.

I frequently use a couple of my antique fans from c.1900-1915, mostly in the cooler months to blow over the wood stove that I heat with.  They are reliable and can run for almost ever with a little simple lubrication.  Summtime would be a normal time to make use of them but here must north of San Francisco it is not very hot in the summer and quite dry.

I don't understand your "I'm assuming that the dials set with ball-bearings are designed to carry current" comment.  In this photo of a 1900 GE the two thumb terminals in the rear of the motor are hot and, should one touch them, a good shock might be in store.  I've learned to stay away from them, not a problem after I learned to look both ways before crossing the street or walking across a railroad track.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ElhC4NxsPF4/TgQN3Cwy8bI/AAAAAAAAAPI/yJxnYdJ0mVM/s1600/pan03.jpg

When I started to collect typewriters I thought it would be fun to add them to my fan blog (and may do some later on) or start a blog on the typewriters that I like.  But I really need to focus on the fan blog and get it going again.  I find it very satisfying doing the blog and it's also interesting to see where my audience is from; all over the world.

Steve

Stevetype33 wrote:

What fantastic machines.

I think fans must have been an unheard of luxury in that period in the UK (our summers being too short and mild). I've never seen one for sale over here, or even on display.

It's great having antique machines you can actually make practical use of.

Forgive me if it's explained in the text (I haven't read it all), but I'm assuming that the dials set with ball-bearings are designed to carry current. Does that mean you could get a shock if you touched them?

18-4-2013 13:40:51  #6

Steve Stephens wrote:

I don't understand your "I'm assuming that the dials set with ball-bearings are designed to carry current" comment.  

There are two pictures under the list of 'Emerson Direct Current brass blade fans'. In each case you have a ring of, what appear to be, ball bearings set into collars. From the looks if it, you twist the central controller to make a connection between pairs of opposite bearings. Thinking about it, any electrical connections would be inside the casing, so perfectly safe.

Great fans. Thanks for the link.

19-4-2013 15:11:05  #7

Now I see what you are asking about.  The fan is an 1898 Emerson "tripod" fan and the switch has hemispherical switch contacts.  There is a brass bar behind the switch handle that makes contact between a pair of opposite contacts.  I think that is would be pretty easy to get a good shock if your fingers went where they should not be.  It's not a problem for those who know how to protect themselves and are acutely aware of their surroundings.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zEaTvSNxA-s/Thp86dQmmOI/AAAAAAAAAQo/uvuFlagueus/s1600/CIMG0797.JPG

A year later model-
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XJaV2Yig1jI/ThqASmPesVI/AAAAAAAAAQw/ZNFKquhNEnI/s1600/Otto%2527sTripod+1898+switch.jpg

By 1908 I think all fan makers had discontinued exposed electrical terminals.
I guess that only dangers of typewriters are if you drop one on your foot.

19-4-2013 18:06:05  #8

You may have got me started on something. I've been looking at fans on eBay UK. Nothing as good as yours so far...

12-9-2014 07:25:32  #9

WordPress all the way... you can use the free wordpress.com to get used to it and for basic blogging, or you can spring for the .org version which gives you far more control over the look and feel and the way the content displays. If you want to go with a .org installation but don't want the hassle of figuring out how to host it yourself (overrated!) get a GoDaddy or Hostgator account - both will do the install for you, and both have great customer service for when you're stumped.

Weird fiction and unsolicited opinion writer and librarian in Akron, Ohio

Board footera