You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-9-2014 07:43:39  #1

Typewriter Repair in Ohio, USA

There's a whopping *one* typewriter repair shop in Akron, Ohio... okay, I'm not that surprised at the dwindling numbers. It's called North Akron Electronic Center, and I was sadly also not surprised at the poor service.

I never expected them to bend over backward for a non-commercial customer like me, who just wanted a single typewriter fixed and cleaned, but they were difficult to locate, did not open on time, were perplexed when I wanted to drop off the typewriter and come back for it at the repairman's convenience, and then proceeded to ignore me for about 5 days despite promising service later the same day. When they did call, it was simply to say that there were no parts for my machine and would I like to buy one of the machines they sell for $200 and up? I asked what, specifically or approximately, was wrong with mine, and I was flatly refused an explanation, which left me to wonder if the repairman looked at it at all beyond noting the manufacturer.

I wouldn't recommend them, but on the other hand there aren't many options in the area.

Weird fiction and unsolicited opinion writer and librarian in Akron, Ohio

21-9-2014 08:56:15  #2

Re: Typewriter Repair in Ohio, USA

The days of having a typewriter shop in nearly every town are gone. That's why so many people try to fix their own. Places that work on electronic typewriters, printers, computers, etc, usually don't want to be bothered with manual typewriters.

I know it's far away, but Richard Polt in Cincinnati is a collector who repairs manual typewriters. You might want to ship it to him.

Last edited by ProfessorC30 (21-9-2014 09:01:52)

Clark

24-9-2014 14:10:46  #3

Re: Typewriter Repair in Ohio, USA

ProfessorC30 wrote:

I know it's far away, but Richard Polt in Cincinnati is a collector who repairs manual typewriters. You might want to ship it to him.

Thanks but mine is electric... it was free so I'm not complaining too much, I'll probably just fidget with it myself.

Weird fiction and unsolicited opinion writer and librarian in Akron, Ohio

Board footera