You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-9-2014 18:07:59  #1

Dunk Cleaning and Space Bar Difficulty...

Hi all. So, I have done 2 dunk cleanings, and had minor challenges each time. I cannot seem to resolve this one, so I am hoping someone out in the typosphere can help guide me along.

I gave Sarge, my 1950 Quiet Deluxe a good cleaning. She still looks aged, but she is clean. I oiled her and everything. I even removed and replace the platen this time without a fight! WOW!

Everything look and feels great! EXCEPT... The space bar. If I place the space bar stops under the batting, where it belongs, everything freezes up. No space bar movement or movement of the platen from side to side. But, if I release the space bar stops (basically allowing the space bar to sit above the first row of keys...) then everything works, other then the agitation of getting around the space bar to type. Can anyone help? It is such a comfortable machine, and I need this one thing fixed!

Sorry... I have not figured out how to shrink things on this yet.

Thanks...

Mr. John Pagan
Type-Enthusiast 

13-9-2014 22:30:25  #2

Re: Dunk Cleaning and Space Bar Difficulty...

It's possible that a photo from the underside of the machine might tell us more. However, if it was working fine before the dunk cleaning, and not now, its most likely that something isn't sitting right when you put the case back on the machine.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-9-2014 16:50:40  #3

Re: Dunk Cleaning and Space Bar Difficulty...

Thanks Uwe for the feedback. I was so convinced it was something major that I was not seeing the obvious. It is NEVER good to stand the typewriter up on the space bar! In doing so, you risk stressing the metal and causing minor bends to occur. Those minor bends added up. Once I figured this out, I was ever so gently able to go back and undo the damage. Everything works beautifully now, and I was even able to give sarge some "new " used feet that weren't falling to pieces like her last ones.

I love this old machine!

Mr. John Pagan
Type-Enthusiast 

Board footera