You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-9-2014 03:27:08  #1

Platen and roller hardness reference

Hi there.

Bought a Olivitti Lettera 32 about 4 weeks ago, all working beautifully. Typed out two pages of what I would say random blog posts which was quite enjoyable.

I need to soften/repair/recoat the platen and rollers as currently it sounds like metal against hard plastic, however I have no idea how close to rock hard the platen needs to be. Is there some reference material or product that gives one a close approximation as to how hard/soft the platen needs to be? A rubber mallet for example? A gumboot manybe? A car tyre? Anything that when one touches and depresses it, it serves as a reference to how the platen is supposed to be.

Other than that I need to make some new rubber grommets which go into the cover chassis, I have one as reference which I'll likely measure up, draw in CAD and have made by a local plastics engineering shop.

I wish you all the very best.

Last edited by Inprogress (21-9-2014 03:27:43)

Life is too short to be an adult!

21-9-2014 08:22:26  #2

Re: Platen and roller hardness reference

The original rubber washers in Olivettis are known to deteriorate. Most people suggest using common faucet washers to replace them. They should be available at any hardware/plumbing store.
No need to reinvent the wheel.

Clark

21-9-2014 12:04:25  #3

Re: Platen and roller hardness reference

@ ProfessorC30. That is great news, I'll be sure to go search the aisle. Thank you.

Life is too short to be an adult!

Board footera