You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-9-2014 11:26:41  #1

Smith Corona 88 Margin Set

I bought a 1954 SC Model 88 for my grandson. I'm trying to get it working for his birthday but I've run into a problem with the margin setting. They won't hold. Everything looks like it's there, nothing broken. Doesn't even "look" worn. Any ideas? Thanks.

23-9-2014 15:33:08  #2

Re: Smith Corona 88 Margin Set

What method are you using to set margins? The reason I ask is that some of the quick set margin systems aren't - on first try - easy to use. 

Mechanically, if you flip the cover for the system forwar toward you (the piece of metal on top of the carriage that has Margin Left Righ written on it), you'll see the two margin stops and the pulley system mounted on the right margin. You should also see a string connecting the two margins stops. Sometimes the pulley gets fouled up and needs to be freed by cleaning the pin it spins on. You should also check the margin stops. They're spring loaded and might be blocked or have a broken spring if they won't lock into position.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-9-2014 18:32:15  #3

Thanks for your help. I ended up removing the slide mechanism on which the margin controls reside. It seemed as if the bar behind this mechanism wasn't allowing the pegs that hold the margins to fully engage. I adjusted a few things and it seems to be working. I have to say that this old machine was really well built as it stood up to the abuse I gave as I was disassembling and reassembling. Thanks again.

23-9-2014 22:24:59  #4

Hey, that's great news! I don't have an Eighty-Eight, but do own a Model 7A, which is the same machine with a few less features. It's a very solid typewriter, and performs well. I'm sure your grandson will like it a lot. How about a few pictures?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-9-2014 09:18:11  #5

Thanks again. Sorry that I didn't take any pictures.

Board footera