You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-10-2014 20:02:37  #1

Skipping characters

I feel like I should know this one, but for some reason or another, my Royal 200 keeps randomly spacing in the middle of words. The only keys that do this are a, w, e, /. and -. I don't know what is it, and I tried looking around within the mechanism for answers. I have no idea what's wrong, or if this is supposed to happen. -Z

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

07-10-2014 22:20:59  #2

Re: Skipping characters

Do you mean that the typewriter will randomly creating unwanted spaces as you type? If so, odds are that it's a sticking escapement; cleaning and/or adjustment should solve the problem.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-10-2014 02:21:43  #3

I had this same problem with a Brother deluxe  370. I fixed it by giving it all a good cleaning. After I got rid of a heap of dust and crud, no more unwanted spaces.

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

09-10-2014 16:24:24  #4

Alright thanks. I didn't think it needed to be cleaned, since there was very little dust and grime anywhere else and it spent 30+ years in a garage. I'll be sure to fix it. Thanks again! -Z

09-10-2014 19:31:39  #5

It's not just dust that you need to be concerned with. Any parts that were once oiled can be frozen or sluggish from that oil having lost it characteristic viscosity. I've seen some oils almost turn into a glue over time.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-10-2014 20:12:50  #6

That might also be true, because the thing was covered in oil. Even the mainspring was almost literally dripping with oil, and it hadn't been oiled since the 1970's. But I'll be sure to clean it.

Board footera