You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-10-2014 04:28:56  #1

Drawstring problem

Hello everyone. I am new here on the forum. If my english is bad it,s because i,m norwegian
I bought myself a Rheinmetall Type KsT from 1955 on a flee market. I myself think it,s a beauty and would like for it to work. The machine is in superb orderd except that it won,t move forward. I have done some research and it seems that it should be some kind of drawstring that connects the arm and the order part and keep the tension. I kind seem to figure out where this drawstring should go. There is a wheel under that the machine slides on, and the wheel has a tiny hole in it.  Hope that someone with a little insight and knowledge can help me out

I have pictures of the machine and the inside, but how do i upload them? 

19-10-2014 10:32:56  #2

Re: Drawstring problem

Well, the wheel with the hole you mentioned is indeed where the drawstring goes. You would need to bring the string to the hole, and then turn the wheel to the right. This winds up the spring in the wheel, and once you have enough resistance, you would feed the string into the hole. However, make sure you have a large enough knot on the very end of the string so it catches in the hole and stays on the wheel. I actually figured this out by messing around with my Smith-Corona Silent-Super, and then spending an hour freaking out because I broke the mainspring. But, good luck fixing your carriage!

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

19-10-2014 13:02:24  #3

Re: Drawstring problem

Replacing the drawband is usually pretty straightforward.
Here's an old thread that explains the process pretty thoroughly, albeit on a different style machine.
http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=107

Clark

Board footera