You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-11-2014 08:49:03  #1

Typewriter year identification

Hello all, I've got quite the mystery on my hands. I recently received a Remington Rand Quiet Riter. Upon checking the serial number and going through several databases, I can't find anything regarding this typewriter in particular.

Where I do know that it is somewhere in the 50s, I'd like to narrow it down to a precise year. The serial number is QN3708134. If anyone can help me narrow down the year, that would be amazing.

Thanks, and good luck,

Andrew

20-11-2014 11:14:25  #2

Re: Typewriter year identification

Hi Andrew, welcome to TT.

The number would indicate that it was made in October 1959, BUT the prefix is strange. The prefix indicates the country the machine was manufactured in (Q=U.S., E=England, C=Canada, etc...) Maybe you should double check the serial number on the machine and make sure that it's actually QN and not perhaps QR instead. Sometimes dirt and grime can make letters and numbers appear differently. Also, can you confirm it was made in the U.S.? Typically a decal on the back of the machine would state that. Photos would also be a big help in terms of identifying anything that might be unusual with your Quiet-Riter.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-11-2014 18:29:52  #3

Sure - got many photos to help.
I've made an imgur album for you to look through. Since I can't post a link yet, just add after imgur.com this: /a/NeQfd

(On closer inspection, it might be an O with a cut through it to look like a Q)

Thanks,

Andrew

21-11-2014 00:24:24  #4

Wow, that's a gorgeous Quiet-Riter.

From your photos it's obvious that the serial number prefix is definitley QN, and I'm quite confident that the manufacture date I previously mentioned is correct. Supporting this is the fact that you actually have a Quiet-Riter "Ten", which I believe denotes the 10th anniversary of the model, which would also have to make it a 1959 model.

However, I can't explain the prefix, but then again, there are a lot of mysteries surrounding some of the prefixes used by Remington in its serial numbers.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera