You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-11-2014 14:05:18  #1

need some cleaning tips

Ok so i got the remington model 17 today. it is disgusting, i dusted it off with a can duster, cause there was a lot of sawdust on it.  but there is some rust on a lot of things. is there something i can use or do something to get the rust off? i will have more questions in a few im sure as its my first typewrite im really cleaning really good.

17-11-2014 16:56:05  #2

Re: need some cleaning tips

when i flipped the typewriter on its back, so i was able to clean underneath, there was pink goo on the bottom of the keys, pic will be included. is that suppose to be there? and also on the bottom there is this ribbon that wraps around a wheel, it is hooked on the wheel on one end but the other end of the string is not connected. i can wrap it up around the wheel but one end is just hanging there. i attached a pic with it pulled all the out. cause i didnt describe it good at all. but what should be done with that cord. 

17-11-2014 16:57:04  #3

also one more question, a couple of the keys, i dont know what they are called on a typewriter, stick just a few im cleaning them and hoping that its just cause its so dirty

23-11-2014 11:47:36  #4

anyone have any suggestions?

23-11-2014 13:00:58  #5

Do a search for "denatured alcohol" on this board, and you will reveal a couple of threads about that very subject.

Last edited by RWWGreene (23-11-2014 13:19:42)

23-11-2014 15:48:58  #6

what about that ribbon that is not connected to anything?

23-11-2014 16:27:24  #7

The 'ribbon' is called a drawband and it pulls the carriage along as you type. If it's broken or come off the carriage then the carriage will not move when you depress a key or spacebar. It needs to be either replaced or reattached, and then its tension properly adjusted for your typewriter to work. If you search "broken drawband" you should find plenty of information both in this forum and on the web.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-11-2014 18:33:38  #8

ok thanks, i was wondering why it wasnt working lol, i will search that, i didnt know what it was called.

Board footera