You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-3-2013 03:52:59  #21

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

No it isn't. I posted it there, just in case you couldn't, and other members wanted to see what it was. 

I only have one typewriter (thusfar). A small Underwood portable from the 1920s. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

31-3-2013 09:35:41  #22

Love your Princess, Amelia. DId it come with any kind of case or cover?

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

31-3-2013 19:23:07  #23

Valiant wrote:

Love your Princess, Amelia. DId it come with any kind of case or cover?

Thanks, Valiant.

Yes it did. It came with its original navy blue case (cover) that attaches to the bottom.
I will get around to taking more pictures soon.

Something about me: I'm quite persnickety when it comes to portables. I don't think I'd ever purchase one without its case/cover. I was actually a little upset that it didn't have the key!

Last edited by Amelia (31-3-2013 19:23:25)

My blog: http://papelymaquina.blogspot.com/  
            Photo gallery: http://papelymaquina.imgur.com/

01-4-2013 02:59:46  #24

The Princess 300 looks great. It's never really been on my radar before. I want one now.

Like Amelia I now have a rule about buying only portables with cases. Apart from the completeness factor, it's simply more practical to store and protect them this way. What really lights my fireworks is a typewriter with all the accessories (brushes, oil etc) and manual. On one occasion I was lucky enough to get the original packaging too.

01-4-2013 04:51:32  #25

Stevetype33 wrote:

The Princess 300 looks great. It's never really been on my radar before. I want one now.

Like Amelia I now have a rule about buying only portables with cases. Apart from the completeness factor, it's simply more practical to store and protect them this way. What really lights my fireworks is a typewriter with all the accessories (brushes, oil etc) and manual. On one occasion I was lucky enough to get the original packaging too.

I can definitely relate. My Olympia SM-9 came with a pouch that had accessories inside (cloth, 2 brushes, and an eraser shield-- ALL Olympia branded!) To top it off, it still had the key for the case and a soft vinyl cover.

As far as the Princess goes, it took me a while to find it. Here in the North America (or at least on the West Coast) it was difficult to find one in good condition and at a reasonable price. I usually see eBay listings from Germany with eye gouging shipping prices. Even then, I usually only see 1-2 listings at a time. I feel pretty lucky to have gotten my hands on this one. I'll keep an eye out for ya. :-)

My blog: http://papelymaquina.blogspot.com/  
            Photo gallery: http://papelymaquina.imgur.com/

02-4-2013 14:29:04  #26

Does anyone leave a typer out when they are not using it? Even if you know it may be a week before you type something on it? I have a desk set up tp make a sort of corner desk so that I can put a typer on there but I am just not sure if I want to and then should it be electric or manual?

Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. This way if you're right you will have a headstart and they will be barefoot.

02-4-2013 16:38:08  #27

Hemingway wrote:

Does anyone leave a typer out when they are not using it? Even if you know it may be a week before you type something on it? I have a desk set up tp make a sort of corner desk so that I can put a typer on there but I am just not sure if I want to and then should it be electric or manual?

I leave all of my portables out; in fact, I never use their storage/carrying cases at all.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-4-2013 21:01:35  #28

Hemingway wrote:

Yes I leave two or three typewriters out most of the time for a few reasons: I like the typewriter 'machine aesthetic'; I like having them handy and accessible to type notes, lists and the occasional letter or envelope; there's always at least one that requires some kind of mechanical or cosmetic repair so I will leave it out as a reminder to attend to it; they are good conversation pieces; lastly, storage space is at a premium! I also always have one on display in my office at work, for similar reasons.

02-4-2013 21:59:10  #29

My space is at a premium.  I have a five foot table that has to hold everything I need for school. It is pretty crammed as it is but I do have a small table on the side of it that could hold a typer.  My English Lit class lets me turn in papers anyway be it typed, handwritten or computer printed so I can use my typer anytime I want.  I want to leave it out but I'm wondering about all the dust and stuff that piles up getting in and gumming it up.  I guess I can use that canned air like I do for my laptop.  I could also cover it with a towel when I go somewhere and I won't be sitting at my desk.  These machines lasted for eighty years so I am sure another twenty years or so ain't gonna hurt it.

Last edited by Hemingway (02-4-2013 22:00:25)

Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. This way if you're right you will have a headstart and they will be barefoot.

02-4-2013 22:13:11  #30

Hemingway wrote:

I could also cover it with a towel when I go somewhere and I won't be sitting at my desk. 

Yes, I will sometimes cover a typewriter with a tea towel to protect it from dust. 

Board footera