You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-4-2014 12:35:57  #1

IBM Selectric Elements

Greetings and Salutations

A couple of years ago, I picked up an IBM Selectric II that was pretty well gummed up with old oil. My wife had said in passing that she wished she would have kept her selectric from the 1980's. I had this one completely serviced at Brentwood Business Systems in Calgary as my Christmas present to my wife. The machine now runs slick and smooth and my wife couldn't stop giggling the first time she typed on it.

Anyhow, I just bought a job lot 15 of assorted elements from eBay. Out of 15 elements, one doesn't fit properly and one has a broken tab. The one that doesn't fit isn't an issue as there were two of that typeface. However, the one with the broken tab is kind of unique as it's Symbol 10. Is it possible to replace a broken tab or the whole cap assembly on one of these elements? Thanks and all the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

12-4-2014 15:03:16  #2

Re: IBM Selectric Elements

I'm sitting on a pile of elements that are waiting for an inexpensive Selectirc to be used with, so I'm curious about the answer to your question. I'd have to dig them out of the garage to take a look, but I think the tab can be replaced.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-4-2014 15:56:53  #3

The answer is yes, but it is really fiddly.  I remember doing this once about 30 years ago (I am a typewriter engineer)  The cap is held onto the head by four plastic 'studs' on the cap which go through holes on the top of the head.  The ends of the studs are then melted over in production to form permanent 'rivets'.  It is possible to replace the studs with tiny self-tapping screws, screwed up from inside the head into the cap, and then filed off flush on the top.  I am pretty sure that I stumbled across an article somewhere on the net about recovering broken IBM golfball heads, some time ago.  Unfortunately I can't remember where I saw it, but knowing that it might still be out there somewhere means that you might be able to search for it and find it too.  Best of luck !

05-8-2014 21:54:24  #4

You can produce a makeshift tab with a humble paper clip. Just remove the old tab from the element, insert the element in position, and then wrap the paper clip around the shaft, making sure it presses down the element. With practice and a bit of ingenuity, you will manage to keep the element in place. Just make sure you don't want to switch fonts very often...

06-8-2014 21:30:58  #5

Years ago, IBM and others made repair caps. Remove the broken cap and install the new one, melting the studs with a soldering iron.

Others have repaired elements by removing a good cap from an element they aren't going to use and glueing it on the broken element. Getting the glue in the right place and getting it to stick is a challenge.

You can also use the clip inside the cap (after you remove the cap from the element and leave it off) to hold the element on the post by slipping it into the groove on the post. It just makes it difficult to change elements quickly.

I fixed a few elements with the metal/plastic lever by soldering a piece of copper to the cam.

Last edited by ProfessorC30 (06-8-2014 21:41:08)

Clark

08-12-2014 10:52:38  #6

I just purchased IBM selectric II type writer and I have follwing questings. Any helpful infomatin will be appriciated.

1.  My element tab is missing tab which is use to remove the element.  How can I remove this element from type writer?
2.  When I type with this element, #1 types " [ "character.   I understand this is multiple key which has 5 character set instead 1 or 2,  Is this problem with type writer or I just need different element to type #1 correctly?

3. My carridge return does not go all the way left.  It stops in the middle of page but it some times go all the way left.  The CR os mpt reliable.  What can I do to fix this?

Your help will be appriciated.

Hyuncher

27-12-2014 12:16:52  #7

Hyuncher,
1. Pry the small metal ends of the spring apart to slip the element off the tilt-ring post. It is kind of tough to get them both to release at the same time, but using two tools will help.
2. Some elements replaced the "1" with other symbols. Try a normal correspondence element.
3. Sounds like the torque limiter is slipping. That is usually caused by a stretched extension spring on the torque clutch. If stretched, it will need to be replaced.

Clark

Board footera