You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-1-2015 06:17:01  #1

Imperial Model 50: I did a stupid

Hello, I bought a model 50 the other day and nothing seemed wrong initially, just very dusty and grimy. Then, I noticed that the band that brings the number 6 typebar back to a resting position had snapped, so (and here's the stupid), I took the top off to have a look inside, and have a good clean while I was there. I set everything back up, and now the rest of the typebars don't strike the platen at all (but the cleaning means they move freely, now), they just stop halfway, like they're being obstructed somewhere. Help? Please?

19-1-2015 10:28:05  #2

Re: Imperial Model 50: I did a stupid

It could be a number of things. I'm not sure what you mean when you wrote that you "took the top off". Did you pull the machine from its case (it's a modular typewriter and is designed to disassemble into seperate components)? Does the carriage move with the spacebar? Is the ribbon at the end of its travel? There's a manual ribbon reverse lever under the front lip of the machine looking into the type basket - reach in and back toward the keyboard to find it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-1-2015 12:22:19  #3

Hi Uwe, 

I unscrewed the top panel - the lid? - and removed it, along with the carriage (I was informed not to remove the carriage by itself because it's difficult). The carriage does move with the spacebar, yes, and I took the spools off to stop them getting in the way. 

I just had a look inside and cannot see anything physically obstructing it, so I'm completely at a loss.

19-1-2015 17:58:27  #4

O.K. Here's what you do.....Put the 'lid' back on together with the four chrome screws, one in each corner.  Removing the carriage is childishly simple.  Look under the right hand side of the carriage, where you will find the drawband (it looks like a long bootlace with a metal hook on the end).  You will see a longish stud on the 'lid'  Unhook the drawband from the carriage and park the end on the groove in the stud.  On each side of the carriage rails, you will see a chrome button.  Press both buttons in simultaneously and lift the carriage straight up and off the machine.  Now go to the keyboard.  Above the top row of keys, you will see two chrome latches, left and right.  Press both down at the same time and pull the keyboard towards you.  The whole keyboard and typing unit will slide out on rails like the drawer on a filing cabinet.  Now push it back again until latched.  I imagione this will cure your fault, which is that you got the line-lock mechanism tangled up when you took the 'lid' (actually called the 'top plate' off the machine.  If there is a broken typebar link, you will need to get this replaced by a professional.

19-1-2015 19:00:16  #5

Ahh, thank you so much, that was exactly it! i very rarely use the term 'wizard' to describe people, but you seem to be exactly that. Thanks.

20-1-2015 05:01:43  #6

Pleased to be of help !  By the way, are you in the UK ?

20-1-2015 13:42:14  #7

I am, yeah, Lincoln to be exact! Anyway the celebration was a bit premature as the drawband snapped off and the bit that houses the spring now spins freely. I wasn't even rough with it, I was quite gentle! Is there any more advice you could give? I'd love to send it to you, but, being a student, I have no money, m'fraid.

Board footera