You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-11-2014 22:35:39  #1

Royal KHM-10 restoration

Hello,
I recently bought a Royal KHM-10 (I think) to restore for my partner for her birthday. Idealy I would love for it to be in full working condition when I give it to her at the end of January.

From what I can tell, it's in reasonble condidion and aside from the 'Q' likes to stick and the 'Y' keys glass has cracked on the top.
I haven't got the slightest idea about typewriters (or how to restore them) so if anyone on this forum could provide me with some useful information on how to do it properly, I would be extremely greatful.

Sam.

28-11-2014 12:35:55  #2

Re: Royal KHM-10 restoration

I don't think you'll want to tackle a full tear-down restoration do you? I'd suggest as a first step to give it as throrough cleaning, top to bottom, front to back, as possible. From such an intimate activity it will easier to proceed to step two, which will be to identify any mechanical issues or components that require attention or replacement.

Posting photos here might help with getting a rough idea as to its current condition (instructions for images in the FAQ section - you need to have created at least three posts too). 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-11-2014 19:05:15  #3

I've already started cleaning as much as I can, It's so filthy!
I would like to be able to do a full tear-down restoration as there is a lot of rusted parts that I wont be able to get to unless I do, but it seems like that may be a little far fetched for my skill set unless I had a manual for it.

Do you have any suggestions for products to clean the grease off the old parts and some sort of wax so I can bring the shell back to its original gloss coating?

28-11-2014 20:03:00  #4

I use Mothers California Gold Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax for the case and have liked the results. I don't know if it's available in Australia or not, but it's meant for cars, so I'm sure there are plenty of comparable products available. For grease/oil/dirt on the metal parts I use Varsol, and hundred's of Q-Tip swabs.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-11-2014 19:56:32  #5

I'll search for a high quality car wax later this week.
Is Varsol similar to methylated spirits? Because I have litres of that.

I'll post some pictures soon, is the requirement 3 posts or 3 topics?

01-12-2014 17:00:52  #6

Here is a picture I quickly took of it, I'll post some more photos of the insides of it when I get home from work tonight.

03-12-2014 21:18:34  #7

Here are a few of the pictures from inside as promised, I have pulled some parts off so that I could get some better images of the insides

as you can see its quite rusted and full of gunk, if I had a repair manual this would be open and in pieces in seconds 

21-1-2015 13:58:05  #8

Beware of repairs that you cannot finish and have to go to professional,  their rates seem to being going up,  I mean like$125 an hour!  I needed a carriage put back on a Smith Corona Portable and it ran $225.  Granted, he said that me spring broke on the draw coard too, but it was working when I brought it to him.  On another machine, 1941 Underwood Standard, the caps were out of line with the lower case, and I took it to another repjairman: over $220 later he hadden't fixed it,but charge for examination!

Board footera