You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-2-2015 18:19:14  #1

Help. I'm going crazy...

I'd never thought I'd say this, but how do I sell a typewriter? More specifically, what should I say a typewriter is useful for? I really don't need my Underwood Touch-Master 5, because I'd really like to save the real estate for a different machine, like a Heremes 3000 or a Royal 10. I hoped I'd never come to this day, but I just don't need this machine. It's not that I don't want it, but I can't have it. And I want to use each machine at least a few times a month. So 15 is my max. (I know I said 10 was, but this is actually it).

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

12-2-2015 05:39:37  #2

Re: Help. I'm going crazy...

This might help:  http://www.wsj.com/articles/five-practical-uses-for-a-vintage-manual-typewriter-1419627431
Oops, when I first read the article some time ago, there was no paywall ...

Last edited by kpropaganda (12-2-2015 05:41:25)

12-2-2015 19:21:53  #3

I think I can help you with that. I have sold many machines over eBay in the past months, once I even got $682 out of an auction for one of my machines. People go crazy over Christmas time.

Here's one of my more recently sold machines. The most important two factors are pictures and descriptions, assuming you want to sell on eBay. You don't need to give a reason to buy a typewriter, if the potential buyers have reached your listing they know what they want.

link

Notice the long description, highlighting the pros of the machine. This was an ordinary Smith-Corona Silent, but the two things that makes it stand out are that it is a very early model (1st year of production) and it is in stunning shape with all the manuals. I made sure to point that out, while also noting the popularity of the Smith-Corona Super 5 series. I used my knowledge to my advantage, when reading the description you can tell I know what I am talking about.

Photographs are just as important. Because I have few rooms with good lighting and I only have my cell phone camera to use, I take all my eBay photos outside. I make them as detailed and nice looking as possible. 

Also, NEVER EVER say something like "sold as is" or "I don't know much about this particular machine". To get buyers, you need to sound confident. Notice how I said it would be professionally packed and fully insured. Well, now the buyer has nothing to lose by buying it and they are more likely to spend more on it.

Just a few extra tips, including a fresh ribbon is always a huge selling point. It doesn't even have to be a good one, it just has to be fresh. Never underestimate the power of laziness. Also, free shipping is always a plus. It will make it feel to the buyer like there are no hidden costs, even if you raise the price (like I do) to more than it would have costed originally to cover the shipping.

All in all, just try to follow these rules and you're set. By listting the Silent in this way, I effectively turned my $35 typewriter into a $115 one.

Also, how much are you planning on selling it for? I might be interested in buying it myself, my area lacks Underwood standards for some reason and I don't trust non-collectors to pack a big standard properly.

Last edited by JustAnotherGuy (22-6-2015 20:30:35)

10-3-2015 20:51:03  #4

Thank you so much for your advice, it really helped . I just listed my Remington Noiseless #7 (not without some held-back tears...) on ebay because I don't use it as much as I should, and it deserves a better owner. I also need the cash because my brother wants a Royal QDL and those aren't cheap on this coast... However, regarding the Underwood, I'm sold it to some girl in my grade who wanted it to type on. But it was only because I needed the space... Though where do you find your machines? You said you don't trust non-collecters for shipping, so it's not off of ebay. I just wanted to know since this winter has gotten people to not do and garage sales nor are people willing to part with typewriters for cheap. One last thing, how do you pack your machines? More importantly, do you engage carriage release while shipping it? I'm torn on how to pack it because there are many suggestions on how to do so.

11-3-2015 09:40:09  #5

A huge plus for any listing is to include a photo of sample typing from the machine, showing that all the letters work.  I'm always hesitant about listings which do not include this.

Sincerely,
beak.

12-3-2015 19:27:46  #6

ztyper wrote:

Though where do you find your machines? You said you don't trust non-collecters for shipping, so it's not off of ebay. I just wanted to know since this winter has gotten people to not do and garage sales nor are people willing to part with typewriters for cheap.

I'll admit, I'm a little bit of a hypocryte, most of them come from eBay anyway! Usually, though, I never buy standard sized machines and I almost always send this link to the seller after I have bought a typewriter from them.

I also usually follow those directions when shipping, although rather loosely. I usually re-use most of my packing, but in your case I would put wadded newspaper or packing paper and surround the bottom of the typewriter (where it comes in contact with the case). Lock the carriage if it does lock, but surround both ends of the carriage with the tightly wadded paper. Make sure that this paper is tight enough, one of my first shipments was unfortunately damaged when I didn't pack the sides of the carriage right! As long as this is tight enough, there shouldn't be damage. Make sure to also fill the typebasket with this tight paper so the typebars don't flop around, and make sure that none of the wadded paper will get loose in the case. The case itself doesn't need to be packed full with cushioning material as long as the typewriter is properly and securely latched. Get a box that is large enough to hold the cased typewriter and still have room for a few inches of packing peanuts on every side. I ship FedEx which generally runs for under $20 for portables. Be sure to mark the package "Fragile", even if the postal workers will likely ignore it anyway!

Good luck with selling your Noiseless!

12-3-2015 21:03:12  #7

Thank you so much for your advice! This is my first real listing (though I did sell two to girls at school. It's weird, I didn't actually think I'd sell them) and I want to leave a good impression. I will follow these instructions, maybe with some more bubble wrap, but this will help a lot. 

And at beak,

I did include a full typeface sample, with the red ink too, because I hate it when others don't include it. I don't know if the darn thing even works or even what CPI it has. But I suppose it's always a "surprise" when it does come.

Board footera