You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-3-2015 17:47:06  #1

Underwood 150 and its Lovely Desk

I'm weak. That's the only explanation. Just yesterday in the portables section of this board I said I was limiting my collection to portbles.

Today . . . I picked up this Typer/Desk bundle. Love them both.

21-3-2015 20:30:35  #2

Re: Underwood 150 and its Lovely Desk

Not many of us would have been any stronger!
Anyway, 'roll-able' is sort of 'portable' isn't it!

Sincerely,
beak.

21-3-2015 20:55:20  #3

Good point, Beak! Just put one of these monsters on wheels and voilà, a portable.

BTW, I can't find a manual for this typewriter online. I found one for the generation before this, but it isn't quite the same. I'm having trouble understanding what the bottom (white) scale is for.

Last edited by WIWriter (22-3-2015 09:17:45)

22-3-2015 00:04:36  #4

Wow! That's a really nice looking typewriter, and a really nice looking stand. I don't think I have ever seen a machine like that before...It really seems to scream "machine" with it's grey color! Nice!!

22-3-2015 16:20:55  #5

Wow, lucky you. Both pieces are great, and look pretty clean.
By the way, is WI for wisconsin? I'm in southwest WIW

22-3-2015 17:54:40  #6

Adleruni wrote:

Wow, lucky you. Both pieces are great, and look pretty clean.
By the way, is WI for wisconsin? I'm in southwest WIW

Thanks. I love the desk almost as much as the Underwood. I'm in the process of buying a matching chair to make the set complete. And yes, I'm in southeast Wisconsin, about 15 minutes from Lake Geneva.

23-3-2015 12:30:57  #7

Fantastic combo, and good for you for giving in! I think the Rhythm Touch models are generally underrated; not only do they type very well, their overall design is both classic and bold.  

WIWriter wrote:

I'm having trouble understanding what the bottom (white) scale is for.

The front scale on Underwood standards changed over the years. Earlier ones were graduated with two scales for the purpose of centering titles or headings on the page. Later scales, like the one on your machine, perform the same task, but the way you use them changed. The upper scale (yellow) shows the maximum number of characters for the carriage width. The bottom scale (white) is used for centering text on the page.

To center text on your machine:
1. Load paper so that it is centered on the top scale.
2. Move the carriage so that the pointer in the center of the case is lined up with the '0' in the top scale (yellow).
3. Press the space bar for each character and space in the heading you want centered.
4. Note the number the pointer indicates on the bottom scale (white).
5. Move the carriage to that number on the top scale (yellow) to start typing your heading. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-3-2015 19:28:24  #8

Uwe wrote:

Fantastic combo, and good for you for giving in! I think the Rhythm Touch models are generally underrated; not only do they type very well, their overall design is both classic and bold.  

Thanks, Uwe. I'm so happy I did give in. I cleaned up the type slugs today and spent more time with it. I think the look of this machine really is classic, though as you indicate, it doesn't get much attention.

Uwe wrote:

To center text on your machine:
1. Load paper so that it is centered on the top scale.
2. Move the carriage so that the pointer in the center of the case is lined up with the '0' in the top scale (yellow).
3. Press the space bar for each character and space in the heading you want centered.
4. Note the number the pointer indicates on the bottom scale (white).
5. Move the carriage to that number on the top scale (yellow) to start typing your heading. 

Thank you so much for explaining that. I thought it had something to do with centering text, but I couldn't figure it out. You should have seen what machinations I was going through!

Anyway, I followed your directions and voilà! centered text. Thank you so much. It's so simple!

Board footera