You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-4-2015 09:30:58  #1

WTB: 6 cpi - Any make/model

I'm looking for absolutely any working manual typewriter with a 6 cpi typeface, ideally with both upper and lower case.
I don't mind if it's not a looker, as long as it can type!
I'm in the UK but will not let that stand between me and this elusive machine. Any help with this search would be greatly appreciated!

17-4-2015 00:42:37  #2

Re: WTB: 6 cpi - Any make/model

Hi Malole

Just browsing eBay USA and came accross this SCM Smith-Corona Classic-12 in 6cpi (eBay item No. 161675317966 ) I've messaged the seller to ask if he or she will take a picture of the type bars to see if it has the same Poster Bold typeface as my Classic-12. I'll let you know what I find. All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

17-4-2015 01:16:36  #3

Wow, thanks so much!

17-4-2015 04:42:05  #4

Sorry to butt in here, but how did you figure out that typewriter is 6 cpi?

17-4-2015 04:47:27  #5

I'm thinking it's because the scale only goes up to 60.
On my ten cpi machines it goes up to 80, on my 12 cpi machines it goes up to 100.
I suppose using that logic, the type might be 8 cpi? But I think Skywatcher has one the same?
I've spent too many hours peering at bad photos on ebay, I am so grateful for any leads!

17-4-2015 07:35:35  #6

Ah, I see.  I did look at that and thought it went up to 80, but when I zoomed in on the pic it does look like it just goes to 60.

19-4-2015 00:23:37  #7

Hi There

I'm going to try to link a couple of pictures to this post. The pictures ar of my 1978 SCM Smith-Corona Classic-12 with 6cpi. With owning such a machine with a 12" platen, I recognized the type scale.  All the best,

Sky

EDIT: Corrected image links to properly display photos in post. Uwe.

Last edited by Uwe (19-4-2015 17:48:34)

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

19-4-2015 03:08:33  #8

That's a really nice typeface! Thank you very much for your help

23-4-2015 13:56:34  #9

Well, thanks to Skywatcher's photos I was able to find another 6cpi machine which looked like a better deal for me with shipping costs (no import duties etc). The seller had some really good packing feedback for typewriters so I took a big chance, and made polite requests for extra careful overseas packing. You never know, I might be lucky. I might also be bonkers!

23-4-2015 14:46:07  #10

What did you get?????

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera