You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-5-2015 10:24:44  #11

Re: Adler dropped during shipping - what damage to look for?

I wouldn't assume that . I was planning to use scrubbing bubbles, but would just some warm soapy water be better?

05-5-2015 10:45:38  #12

Sorry to hear about this - I do know what it feels like to received a machine damaged in the post through sloppy and inadequate packing.

I should be very interested to know whether the carriage lock was applied for transit - can you say?

Sincerely,
beak.

05-5-2015 11:01:50  #13

It must not have been locked, as I didn't UN-lock anything, and I have been typing away on it. There was a square piece if bubble pack laid over the machine, inside the case. I imagine that must have filled in the open space between the carriage and the inside lid of the case, and kept things from moving about during transit.

05-5-2015 17:04:56  #14

Tjmack99 wrote:

I wouldn't assume that . I was planning to use scrubbing bubbles, but would just some warm soapy water be better?

(Thanks for not assuming.) Scrubbing Bubbles has worked great for me. See <http://typewriterdatabase.com/1957-olympia-sm3.4633.typewriter>. It definitely takes off more grime than soap and water. A toothbrush helps loosen grime from deep in the crinkles. Keep the ScruBub away from decals, off your skin, and out of your lungs. My technique has not damaged the crinkles; keep checking your own technique as you go. You don't have to be very vigorous in your brushing; the chemicals do most of the work. Rinse well.

HTH and Have Fun!

25-5-2015 16:18:47  #15

Making good progress. Some letters were not typing clearly, and were hard to read, so I've been digging out "build up" from the nooks and crannies.

Quick ribbon question: is the ribbon supposed to "advance" automatically as I type? If so, what are the mechanics that enable that? My ribbon is not moving, but I'm not sure where to focus my attention.

Thanks! 

25-5-2015 16:44:02  #16

Tjmack99 wrote:

Quick ribbon question: is the ribbon supposed to "advance" automatically as I type? If so, what are the mechanics that enable that? My ribbon is not moving, but I'm not sure where to focus my attention.

Yes, the ribbon should automatically advance, but without re-reading this entire thread to figure it out,are you asking about an Adler or an Olympia? The simple initial step would be to make sure that the ribbon isn't jammed anywhere along its path, or that it isn't at the end of a spool (and the ribbon reverse mechanism isn't working). You can also try to free spin a spool with your finger; one of the two spools should turn freely and load ribbon onto it from the opposite spool. You should also be able to reverse the ribbon direction manually and be able to then freely spin the opposite spool.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-5-2015 11:41:41  #17

Sorry for the confusion, this is regarding the Olympia. Thanks for the guidance. I have the manual, so I'll follow those detailed instructions as well. It seems there is a "conveyor pin" that the spools need to make contact with, so that may be where the problem lies. 

Thanks again 

Board footera