You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-4-2013 02:37:23  #11

Re: Old Remington portable; I could use some help.

You lucky bastard! Why can't I find typewriters for that kinda money... 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

22-4-2013 02:49:19  #12

Shangas wrote:

You lucky bastard! Why can't I find typewriters for that kinda money... 

So I did OKAY? 

I must say, it's a really nice machine to use - very light and quick action, and is my fave so far - the Travel-Riter's action is much heavier, but that may mean simply more and more cleaning required.  The base line of this machine seems perfeclty straight and true - none of my others match it's neatness.  When new ribbon arrives I think it will be my first choice for use.  Then, I only have three, but always on the lookout for more: trying to find that perfect machine!

Sincerely,
beak.

22-4-2013 05:35:39  #13

My experience is that the cheap typewriters are the typewriters which aren't worth getting. And the ones that are, are invariably the ones which are on the 'net for $600. 

In fact there's a $600 corona folding portable on eBay right now. In perfect condition, according to the listing. Who wants it?? I certainly wouldn't pay that. I paid less than a third of that for my Underwood. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

24-4-2013 00:52:02  #14

Further research and correspondence identifies the machine as a Remington Junior Deluxe - though there are many similar models, and Remington famously turned out many sinilar (near-identical) models under different names.

Sincerely,
beak.

Board footera