You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-6-2015 18:25:48  #1

Straightening Letters Under Glass Keys

Hi Everyone,

If this question has been asked before, please redirect.  A search didn't turn up anything, but terms vague.

Royal #10 (1923) cleaned up nicely & works fine.  Just one cosmetic issue.

The letter "U" is slanted diagonal. 

*Looks* like 3 tabs on bottom of keys just bend out.  Remove and straighten crooked letter.

Before I mess with it though, figured I'd ask.

Thanks

Brian

01-6-2015 20:19:13  #2

Re: Straightening Letters Under Glass Keys

I have a Royal 10 too (1928 though) and I had the problem of the glass hving dirt underneath it. Yes, you do remove the tabs on the bottom, take the ring off, take off the glass, and then straighten the paper with the printed letter. However, sometimes the ring may be sticky as with the case with my Royal 10. I had tried to use a pocket knife to kinda leverage the ring off, and the glass cracked. It now looks like this:

Be careful what you read around the forum. I thought that glass keys were actually just a myth and it was just a form of plastic like most 'glass' keys, but apparently Royal used real glass for their 10's (not that this is a bad thing, I love the real glass and how I can see my reflection when it's all polished up). But just be careful when fiddling with the keys.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

02-6-2015 05:05:38  #3

What you could do if you cracked a key, or need an extra, is buy a small lot of keys on ebay, and take off the glass.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

02-6-2015 06:13:05  #4

I think I would just swap the cracked one with another from a less-used key, as long as it was easy to open up, or replace with a bit of thin perspex.( Cake/ dessert boxes often have transparent windows made of sturdy but thin perspex-like material. I often save it for crafy projects for myself and kids.)  Or something from one of the sets of immitation keys might work.

02-6-2015 16:11:10  #5

I would replace it, but the ring is still stuck on there. I might get around to it, might not.

02-6-2015 19:23:33  #6

ztyper wrote:

I have a Royal 10 too (1928 though) and I had the problem of the glass hving dirt underneath it. Yes, you do remove the tabs on the bottom, take the ring off, take off the glass, and then straighten the paper with the printed letter. However, sometimes the ring may be sticky as with the case with my Royal 10. I had tried to use a pocket knife to kinda leverage the ring off, and the glass cracked. It now looks like this:

<photo removed to save space>

Man...   Sorry that happened.  Thanks for posting photo & warning.  Once had better idea, managed to remove ring & glass to get it straightened out.

Last edited by BrianE (02-6-2015 19:24:33)

02-6-2015 23:10:20  #7

ztyper wrote:

Be careful what you read around the forum. I thought that glass keys were actually just a myth and it was just a form of plastic like most 'glass' keys,

If you mean this forum then you misread what was being discussed. The point of that thread was that the term glass keys is more often than not a misnomer. In your case a simple test would have determined what type of keys you had before going at them with a pocket knife, which probably would have damaged a plastic insert too. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-6-2015 05:15:26  #8

I would have just left the keys like they are. They make the typewriter more unique.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

03-6-2015 15:39:23  #9

I thought about leaving it, and I think I will. At least for now. If there's a junk Royal 10 lying around, I'll get the glass piece from it. Otherwise, I think it's going to stay. If anything, it's because it looks cool.

Board footera