You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-6-2015 11:43:04  #1

1930s Royal KHM Standard Typewriter

I recently acquired a Royal KHM Standard Typewriter from the 1930s at a local antique shop for a few bucks.  I tested it out and it typed pretty good for its age.  Well come to find out the ribbon doesn't reverse when it comes to the end on one spool.  I can flip the manual switch to reverse the ribbon, it will reverse but the other spool will not rotate to take in.  I am pretty sure its internal and not the ribbon.  Its a shame because I'm not able to fix it and its too big to use as a decoration.  Everything works on it great, except for that.

You can never have too many typewriters.

02-6-2015 16:15:37  #2

Re: 1930s Royal KHM Standard Typewriter

Hmm... do you have the spools in the right way? When they are out of the machine, the side of the spools should have the ribbon facing you and parallel to your body. And that is way the spools need to go into the machine. If not, then the spool will not turn and everything gets messy.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

02-6-2015 16:31:44  #3

First things first. Does it have the correct spools? That model uses proprietary spools that incorporate a lever to reverse the ribbon. If the machine currently has generic spools installed in it they won't reverse the ribbon automatically.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-6-2015 12:49:27  #4

Thanks Speed Typer, I did not have the ribbon in correctly and I did what you said and it is working now.  What a relief.  The spools started moving, and I moved the ribbon reverse button because the one ribbon was almost to the end, at first it didn't want to reverse and I thought I would have to reverse the spools again when I came to the end of the ribbon, but it started to reverse.  And thanks to Moderator for your comments.  Yes I believe it is the original spools where someone had put new ribbon on, the ribbon spools say made in Syracuse, New York.  I greatly appreciate your suggestions, I was  sad about having to give up this great machine.  For its age I don't expect a lot, the type is good, but sometimes part of the letter doesn't hit the ribbon, I think because I didn't rewind the new ribbon on straight or evenly.  I don't think that matters, but it was working before, it could be the ribbon I have.  I ordered a new ribbon for this machine and should receive by the weekend, I hope this might make a difference in the type.  Thanks again to everyone, I am so glad it was a simple fix.

You can never have too many typewriters.

03-6-2015 15:41:24  #5

Most fixes usually are usually the most simple. 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera