You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-5-2015 15:49:27  #1

Reapplying decals

On Sunday, along with a Smith-Corona Zephyr, I got myself a Royal 10 standard. It's in pretty good shape, everything works and the paint isn't too chipped. However the decal on the front of the type basket has worn away. It's still there, just a faded silver and one solid shape, not individual letters. I know there are decals for sale online, but has anyone actually had any luck with them? I don't want to stick one on there and regret doing so since I really like this typewriter.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

02-6-2015 17:51:38  #2

Re: Reapplying decals

I am restoring an Underwood number 6 and am using waterslide decals from "the virtual typewriter museum / typewriter decal shop" after working with him since two of the decals had to be custom made. He is based in the netherlands and the product is outstanding. the only problem that I have had with them is that I put the clear coat on too heavy and didnt give the decal enough time to set. The only drawbacks I can find about them is that the decal sheets are not "pre-coated" meaning that you will need to "seal" the decals yourself before you use them (I used testors decal sealant and painted the parts with rustoleum and clear coated with rustoleum). If you go that route, give the sealand 48 hours to dry to be on the safest side, and IF you decide to clear coat over it, use very light mist coats untill its covered. But to cut this long winded response to a managable size, the service is great (any mistakes in the printing, I sent a pic of it to him and he had a replacement right on its way), the "gold leafing" was spot on and the typewriter postcard was just extra honey in the pot, so to speak along with a few test-pieces included. if I missed anything of your question, let me know or I can send pictures of a finished product to show the decals "in use".

03-6-2015 05:15:13  #3

Decals from "Typewriter Decal Shop".  Went on good and I let dry overnight.

Just a few small Boo-Boos on the side decals.

Last edited by Rilhardr (03-6-2015 18:16:44)

~ Repairing my Underwood Standard No. 5E ~
                   and learning as I go!

03-6-2015 15:37:21  #4

What about applying a decal to a concave surface? The really bad one is on the front of the typebasket on my Royal 10 and I don't want to mess it up because it's probably the 2nd most visible one.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

03-6-2015 17:52:53  #5

cut the decal as close as you can leaving about a 64th or an inch border around it or cut it out in a square/rectangle, soak it for fifteen or so seconds, use a paper towel to wet the area youre applying the decal to and carefully slide it off onto that area and move it around to its final resting place and carefully blot and push any bubble out and let set 24 to 48 hours It. can be a bit nerve wracking at first but after the first one its no sweat.

Board footera