You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-6-2015 12:27:29  #1

SC galaxie deluxe inconsistent advance

Just picked up a galaxie deluxe for $26 that's super clean but needs a little fix. The carriage advance mechanism occasionally hangs up on key press and I'm not entirely sure what to do about it.

It's almost as if the tension is too high on the drawband; if I put a little resistance on the carriage while using the space bar it works just fine, but if I give it a tilt in the opposite direction of advance to let gravity do the same thing - no dice. It hangs up.

I've isolated the mechanism. - its a geared wheel that turns with every key press and a plate that has a protrusion that fits the gear. Press key, plate lifts, wheel advances, plate lowers back in to gear. The problem is that the gear is sometimes faster than the plate or rotates imperceptibly too far and the plate hangs up on the gear! It will snap back in to place as soon as I apply very slight pressure in the return direction.

This a simplified explanation of what I see and its hard to take pictures of it - is anyone familiar with this issue? Is it a carriage tension issue or is there some other adjustment I can make?

14-6-2015 13:41:49  #2

Re: SC galaxie deluxe inconsistent advance

A visually clean machine doesn't mean that its oil and greases are in good condition. The part you're describing is called the escapment, and I've often found congealed oils in them that prevented their proper operation. A thorough cleaning followed by a few drops of sewing machine oil would be my first step before moving on to any adjustments.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-6-2015 00:45:49  #3

Is that best done by taking of the carriage? I dabbed it best I could with spirits but I can't really get in there...

16-6-2015 05:06:03  #4

If you have spray on gun oil, you can use that too.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

16-6-2015 12:22:05  #5

cjshelley wrote:

Is that best done by taking of the carriage? I dabbed it best I could with spirits but I can't really get in there...

Carriage removal would make it easier, but I'd try to persevere with heavily saturated Q-Tips, or you could also try using a syringe with a section of tubing on it to get right into the area.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-6-2015 00:42:57  #6

It really (really) doesn't appear to be gummy, dirty, or otherwise hindered. I've taken it down as far as I can without removing the carriage, doused it in laden q-tips,  and there's nothing I can find wrong with it. Absolutely nothing...  Except for the fact that it jams sometimes.

forgive me for not knowing the exact names of the parts, but it's almost as if the geared mechanism rotates too fast or with too much force for the other mechanisms to stop it in the correct location for the last piece to slide back in.

I'm doing a terrible job of explaining this, so I think I really should take a video or something. The problem is I don't have enough hands or enough light to do so.

17-6-2015 01:22:03  #7

Then it sounds like an adjustment might be required. I don't own that particular model, but I assume it has a bottom panel that you've already removed, because if I recall there's pretty good access to the escapement from there.

Board footera