You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-6-2015 11:21:32  #1

Doesn't 'catch' after carriage return

I have an Olivetti Underwood Studio 45 which hasn't seen any use for 20+ years.Someone needed a working typewriter for use in an art project so I offered mine.
It needed a new ribbon and some of the keys were a bit stff. I thought I would clean it up a bit and oil where necessary.

My problem: When I do a carriage return, it does not catch anymore. The carriage merrily zips back to the left as if the carriage release lever was being pressed.
I can get it to catch (sometimes) if I hold down the space bar as I carriage return.
To get into the shell to clean, I inverted the typewriter several times and a small spring fell out of one of the holes in the base. I assume this is related to my problem.
However looking at the guts of the typewriter, I cannot see any obvious place where a spring would belong and manipulating the various bars and levers (and such) that I can reach seem to have no effect on my problem.
I have not tried to take the carriage off yet nor removed the back panel/plate to get access to more of the mechanics.

I was hoping someone here can help me or point me in the right direction or even just tell me what terminology I should be using. Thanks

25-6-2015 12:41:53  #2

Re: Doesn't 'catch' after carriage return

Sounds like an escapement issue. It's located under the middle of the carriage within the bowels of the machine, but you might still be able to reach parts of it from underneath the typewriter and from the top by moving the carriage to the extreme limit of its range. Use cotton swabs soaked in mineral spirits to clean as many parts in that area as possible, and with a small amount of luck it should restore the escapement to normal operation. You're either looking for dirt build up, concealed grease/oil, or corrosion. 

You mentioned oiling the machine. This should be done sparingly,and only in specific places. Never oil the segment, the metal plate that the typebars swing into when they strike the ribbon. You can search the forum for specific oiling instructions.

As for the spring, it could have come from any number of places on the machine, so you'll have to start by posting a photo of the spring (against a ruler would be good) if there's any hope of identifying it. Could it have come from the escapement and be the cause of your problem. Possibly, but it would have to be a very small spring if that was the case.

Good luck.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-6-2015 13:56:30  #3

I wouldnt even consider oiling anything except the carriage rails + wheels.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

25-6-2015 14:48:44  #4

Thanks to both of you for the advice especially about the oiling.
I will try post a picture of the spring this evening.

25-6-2015 16:03:36  #5

TypewriterGuy wrote:

I wouldnt even consider oiling anything except the carriage rails + wheels.

I'm not sure what you mean by "wheels", but there are several areas of a typewriter that require light oiling other than the carriage rails.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-6-2015 16:05:51  #6

The little gears under the carriage and wheels, at least there are those on my older machines. They may not be there on this model typewriter. 

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

25-6-2015 22:33:02  #7

Picture of the spring

26-6-2015 12:10:27  #8

Ghosts in the machine ....
My typewriter has spontaneously fixed itself - I wish I had a better explanation.
A (very) quick onceover and no other problems seem to be evident so I don't know what the spring was for.

I guess I will re-clean all the linkages (q-tips and rubbing alcohol) and then try do a little stress testing and type a few paragraphs for a couple of days,

Thanks for your quick responses and advice.

Last edited by cancowboy (26-6-2015 15:42:57)

26-6-2015 13:05:33  #9

The same thing happened with my lettera 32. I think it was a bit of gunk that shifted. After cleaning and oiling the escapement mechainsm (very fiddly) with sewng machine oil, the problem has stayed away. Hopefully yours will behave in the same way. Fingers crossed!

26-6-2015 16:45:57  #10

My best guess it that the escapement loose dog was sticking, either because the lubicant had gone gummy with standing, or because the return spring had fallen off.  If it is the former, cleaning and oiling, together with use, will have cured the problem.  If the loose spring came from the escapement, be prepared for the fault to rear its' ugly head again !

Board footera