You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-6-2015 16:27:11  #1

1950s Smith Corona Skyriter - While Typing I Get Spaces in Words

Does anyone know what can be done.  When I type I will get a space inside words, ex:  Aft ern oon.  I'm an expert typist and I thought that I was striking the key creating this.  This does not happen on any other of my manual typewriters.  I just had this typewriter at a repair shop to be clean and oiled.  Its very disappointing.  I don't expect too much from a typewriter this old.  

You can never have too many typewriters.

27-6-2015 16:56:56  #2

Re: 1950s Smith Corona Skyriter - While Typing I Get Spaces in Words

It seems like when it was dirty before gettong cleaned, someone just wound up th mainspring. Im not an expert at doing that, so someone else could help you with that.

OR

I noticed that in your sample, it skipped every three letters. Does it do that, or did you just randomly type that? It could mean a worn out escapment.Im suprised the typewriter repair man didnt pick up on this.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

27-6-2015 17:01:16  #3

It will type good for a little while, then I can get as much as two spaces inside one word.  No the repairman didn't catch this which aggravates me because he had the typewriter for 3 weeks.

27-6-2015 18:17:57  #4

Its most likley the mainspring. Its probably wound up too much. I dount really know how to  unwind it, and I dont want to guide you the wrong way, so I would wait until someone who has done this can tell you what to do.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

27-6-2015 22:17:47  #5

Olivetiger wrote:

Does anyone know what can be done.  When I type I will get a space inside words,

Was the Skyriter doing this before you took it in for servicing? What should be done is the typewriter should be returned to the repair shop. The problem is not an uncommon one and it sounds symptamatic of a fouled escapement (or one that needs repair/adjustment). And this leads me to wonder what the repair shop cleaned and oiled, if in fact they serviced the machine at all. If they did clean it, and the typewriter wasn't exhibiting this issue before, then maybe they did something to the escapment. Either way, if the place is half decent they'll take a look at it for you without question.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-6-2015 16:07:58  #6

I don't know if it was doing it before.  I got it at an estate sale, the ribbon was so bad I couldn't type on it.  I will call the repair shop and see if I can have it looked at again.  Thank you for all your help.

Board footera