You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-8-2015 19:26:46  #1

Free Underwood 18 (a free lunch)

An Underwood 18 typewriter for free! I always tell my children that there is no such thing as a free lunch, somebody will always expect something in return but this is the exception that proves the rule. It is in good cosmetic condition and was sold to me as in good working order by a local children's hospice. It comes with a nice case and even the zip on it works. It can be yours absolutely free.
Never look a Gift Horse in the mouth. Well there had to be something wrong with it didn't there. First of all it's labelled an Underwood but it's made by Olivetti in Italy, except that it's not an Olivetti, it is an Antares 18 who Olivetti owned. Good working order, not really. The platen does not lock and is free to revolve, fine for line drawing I guess. There should be a lever, knob or something to lock it but it seems not. I really cannot be bothered to try to fix this.
Catch 22 (for those who have read the book or seen the film)
The typewriter is free but you will have to collect it. This is fine if you live near Ipswich or Felixstowe but not if you are in Australia or America as this Ipswich is in England.
Freebies
If having something for nothing offends you on religious or moral grounds you may (but only if you really want to) wish to make a small donation to East Anglian Children's Hospice or the Cats Protection League which I support. If you hate children and cats which I can fully understand you can buy me a coffee or I might even buy you one.
So there you are a typewriter for free, all you have to do is collect it. It comes with no guarantee or warranty as to fitness of purpose but apart from the platen it seems to work okay.

08-8-2015 10:47:22  #2

Re: Free Underwood 18 (a free lunch)

The coffee sounds like the best bit! But Felixstowe's a bit far to go for it, alas...

08-8-2015 16:58:13  #3

Re: Free Underwood 18 (a free lunch)

KatLondon wrote:

The coffee sounds like the best bit! But Felixstowe's a bit far to go for it, alas...

Pity, only 75 miles from London and you could have brought a bucket and spade and had a day at the seaside.

Board footera