You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-8-2015 08:05:14  #1

Opening up an IBM Selectric III - no side levers to "break free" case

Hi,

I acquired an IBM Selectric III not too long ago which I've fallen totally in love with and has ended up using it every day, but it sorely needed a cleaning and some fixes so I finally took it aside and started the operation.

However, I can't seem to get the case off. In all videos and instructions I find online, there should be two levers on the inside of the case (in front) that I need to flip in order to be able to take off the top. On my machine I can't find any such levers, and the top case is stuck.

Hope anyone can help me with this! This is a model 196C and according to its maintenance card was installed in 1983. It seems to have been serviced by authorized shops up until its retirement.

I have photos of where the levers ought to be, but I'm too new to be allowed by the systems to include a link

08-8-2015 16:13:58  #2

Re: Opening up an IBM Selectric III - no side levers to "break free" case

The IBM 196c was very well padded inside with noise-deadening foam (although very likely it will have started turning into a sticky gunge by now).  Is there any possibility that the levers are so embedded in the foam that you can't see them ?  Does the on-line info explain that you need to push the levers with a screwdriver to open them ?  They are not finger-operated levers and are very stiff.

08-8-2015 16:26:21  #3

Thanks! I found them - as you say I needed to use a screwdriver to push them and yes, they were engulfed in goo

I managed to remove most of the sticky stuff but there's a lot remaining. Question is, is there any solvent I can use to remove the last bits and glue? A friend of mine who's a car mechanic said to use brake cleaner as they use it all the time in similar situations with cars and old foam in dashboards etc., but is this safe for the Selectric? Or is there any other solvent I should use?

08-8-2015 18:48:20  #4

From my experience in cleaning disintegrating foam light seals from cameras, naphtha (cigarette lighter fluid), aided by a piece of thin wood (like a chopstick) works well.  The naphtha is safe on plastic and paint.

09-8-2015 11:41:51  #5

Thanks, will try that.

Board footera