You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-4-2015 18:36:53  #1

Name that part (IBM Correcting Selectric III)

Part A, fell out while I had the cover off and typewriter in the standing position. What is it and where does it go?

Part B - Snapped plastic part. What is it? Anyone parting out a typewriter who would like to sell me a replacement?

Many thanks.

24-4-2015 19:09:54  #2

Re: Name that part (IBM Correcting Selectric III)

I figured out that Part B is the Transport Pulley Mechanism. They have them at http://www.typewriters.com/selectric-parts.html but for now I'm just going to try epoxying mine back together. It's the same part for all Selectrics.

Still need to figure out what Part A is.

Last edited by CiscoSF (24-4-2015 19:29:23)

24-4-2015 19:56:40  #3

I found a new broken part, let's call it Part C. Anyone know what this one is?

24-4-2015 23:47:13  #4

Hopefully a Selectric expert will chime in, but worst case I'll try to refer to my Selectric parts book when I find some time to dig it out.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

30-4-2015 15:50:35  #5

I ended up giving up on fixing the typewriter myself so I took it to California Typewriter in Berkeley, CA. I'll ask them what the Part A is when I pick it up.

Part C is part of the case mount post to bottom cover. I ended up epoxying that one back on too. Further, I picked up a Correcting Selectric II for free on Craigslist. I took off the two case mount posts and paper bale arms and threw away the rest. So I have those spare parts, if anyone ever needs them.

Last edited by CiscoSF (01-5-2015 02:09:09)

29-8-2015 18:45:15  #6

I'm an Ex IBM Serviceman. Although you gave up and took it to a Typewriter repair shop, (wise decision) I can tell you where and what those pats are. The first pic is of a cord guide roller. This sits on a shaft, by itself, above the OP Shaft. It aids in alighning the transport cord around the take up windlass for escapement, Carrier return, and tab functions. It popped off when your cord tensioner broke (pic 2). As for pic 3...Although this little peg is attached to a case foot, it is there to situate the FRAME inside the case. It also locks down the frame so it won't move inside the case. It is good you saved another from a junk machine. I wish you had saved the whole machine because there are so many parts you simply can't get anymore. You can still get some parts from Coleman Mfg.

Board footera