You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-1-2015 19:32:15  #1

Blickensderfer Featherwight

I just bought one of these on eBay! I saw it very poorly listed with no interest in it going on, so I read up and analysed the photographs against photos of lovely shiny ones on the internet. I think it's fine but just a bit dull and spotty and unloved. I got it very cheap. 

I gather you can still get the ink rolls, they're made for adding machines or something. Does anyone have any other advice? I've never even seen one in person before. I just love them from pictures, because they look so sort of otherworldly. But if there are any tips or warnings, do let me know! Thanks (& being realistic, the big thing is that the platen looks like it might be completely shot, and I guess that'll be an expensive thing to sort out... )

Pasting in a link here to see if it works:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Blick-Featherlight-Typewtriter-/291356994887?_ilink=&_trkparms=gh1g%3DI291356994887.N9.S1.M-1716.R1.TR5&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=n3GI1DkccvbNGqBi2occEx3oBcs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

05-2-2015 09:34:26  #2

Re: Blickensderfer Featherwight

By the way, I have got this macahine now. It is ineffably beautiful and feels strangely alive. There is a problem with some of the keys - a whole tranche of them go down together if you press any key.  I think I read somewhere that this can be an issue, and I am very happy that there's a website that takes you through dismantling one of these. I'm not scared. I'll get to it once I've got done with the SG3 and got some energy back after the recent family death. I feel I need all my faculties when dismantling such an unfamiliar machine. 

In the meantime, here is its very pretty oaken box (taken in the cafe right after I picked it up), which looks like a treasure chest. (This is especially so as the leather handle is broken, as you can see in the front.

Last edited by KatLondon (05-2-2015 09:35:21)

15-2-2015 18:49:06  #3

That is a bloody beautiful machine. Such a strange shape,  yet somehow elegant despite it. I'm very jealous. (And the box really does look like a treasure chest, but with a better treasure than most.)

15-2-2015 18:54:12  #4

I know! It is very creaturely. I'll be sure to keep you posted when I do it up (fingers crossed). The height of excitement would be to be able to type something on it.

21-5-2015 23:08:07  #5

Can you repost your picture here? Sounds like an interesting machine.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

18-10-2015 12:29:53  #6

Any photos yet?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

Board footera