You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

Maintenance & Repairs » Crooked keys » 10-12-2018 10:45:42

This is easiest if you have key tools to do this sort of thing. Otherwise, you could try using a flathead screw driver to rotate the key legends in place. See Richard Polt's blog post about how to use key ring tools.

Or you could remove the key rings with the flathead screwdriver, adjust the legends, and then replace them. Should you choose to do this, BE CAREFUL. The tabs on the key rings are fragile and like to break.

Type Talk » New Member Thread » 09-12-2018 10:24:31

thetypewriterman wrote:

Right at the end of the war, Imperial were so hard up for rubber that they even started to fit cork feet.

This particular machine has cork grommets, but a rubber ring around them on the bottom of the case for the feet.

beak wrote:

Craft shops have supplies of very thin cork sheet.

I might look into this if I can't find a way to clean the ink off of the existing one. But I've got quite a few other machines to get to work on first before I attempt such a thing.

Type Talk » New Member Thread » 08-12-2018 08:26:57

I realize that I've never actually posted in here despite being a member for a few months.

Howdy! I'm Evan and reside in Virginia, USA. I have several interests in typewriters including collecting, repairing/restoring, and writing. Though, I must admit, I'm not much of a writer. I have a fascination with Royal Model Ps (of which I have 6 so far), 3-bank portables and machines of a similar silhouette, and typewriter ephemera.

One of my more admired typewriters is a 1944 Imperial Good Companion with cork platen. It's in rather rough shape, but I do plan to restore it at some point.

Maintenance & Repairs » DIY method for replacing spacebars? » 16-11-2018 08:37:18

You could always try to design and 3D print a replacement space bar. I'll be doing this for some missing feed rollers for an Underwood 3 Bank portable (I'll be 3D printing the actual feed roller rods out of metal, and then adding the rubber afterwards myself).

Portable Typewriters » Royal Portable Model P - Serial Number 'R' » 17-10-2018 10:07:33

SoucekFan wrote:

It is interesting because both of those are from around the time they transitioned the shell design from the open-spool ribbon cover to the gullwing style.

More than that, the machines have updated feet and color selectors. I'm thinking it's either attributed to R standing for Rerun or Reserve, being that they found some parts left over after they began manufacturing new body styles.

Further curiosity makes me wonder about the P88 serial numbers, though, I have yet to come across one myself.

Type Talk » A few questions from a new typewriter ally! » 07-10-2018 12:25:39

I've now seen twelve platens, and although generally "hard," some are quite able to take an indent by fingernail.  How "squishy" is a new (general use) platen?  Thoughts on turboplaten vs. JJ

- Generally, if it the rubber gives to a fingernail, it still has some life left (there might even be some pitting as well). I personally enlist the service of JJ Short for my machines. Wonderful quality and excellent customer service. I think they also provide discounts for multiple platens of the same core type.

Portable Typewriters » Royal Portable Model P - Serial Number 'R' » 06-9-2018 09:25:25

A request for information.

I'm working on a  Royal Portable (Model P) that has a serial number starting with an 'R'. I've only seen two of these machines before, one of which is in the Typewriter Database and another on ebay. Though, I can find no information about why the serial number would start with an 'R'. Does anyone have any information as to why?

The serial number in question is R188620. The reference serial number in the Typewriter Database is  R188393, manufactured in 1930.

Board footera


Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum